The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be helping a friend set up, for a classroom, a 65g tank. It's a Reef-ready AGA tank (36X18X24).

If we wanted to set this up as a low-light tank specifically for things like java fern, java moss, and similar plants, how many 23w watt 6500K CFL's would you recommend?

I'm thinking 3 of them will work fine. I was originally going to make her an LED array, but I realized later that they will need to be able to easily replace a bulb in case something blows, and a blown LED happens once in a while.

Basically the fish will definitely be the focal point of the tank. The plants will be just for looks, really.

Any advice, thanks!!!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If the bulbs are horizontal it is going to take probably 6 bulbs to get even low light. If the bulbs are vertical 3 bulbs should do it. In either case a good reflector for each bulb is needed. The 24 inch height of the tank makes it hard to light it with CFL bulbs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If the bulbs are horizontal it is going to take probably 6 bulbs to get even low light. If the bulbs are vertical 3 bulbs should do it. In either case a good reflector for each bulb is needed. The 24 inch height of the tank makes it hard to light it with CFL bulbs.
not really, i had a VERY successful tank with 4 23w spiral cfl's attached to 4 of the cone work lights. and they were hung about a foot over a 22" deep tank...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That depends on if you have reflectors. Really low light plants can probably survive the low light levels though.
We're probably going to use the flood lights that have the reflector built in. I've tested the PAR output on those and they should be capable of putting sufficient PAR on the substrate, for a limited are. I just didn't know how many I would actually need.

Thanks everyone!

(On second thought I may just give her my old 4X24 T5HO and stagger the bulbs for better coverage.... which would probably be too much light.... not sure... need to see if the ballast can just run 3 bulbs.)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I am going to be helping a friend set up, for a classroom, a 65g tank. It's a Reef-ready AGA tank (36X18X24).

If we wanted to set this up as a low-light tank specifically for things like java fern, java moss, and similar plants, how many 23w watt 6500K CFL's would you recommend?

I'm thinking 3 of them will work fine. I was originally going to make her an LED array, but I realized later that they will need to be able to easily replace a bulb in case something blows, and a blown LED happens once in a while.

Basically the fish will definitely be the focal point of the tank. The plants will be just for looks, really.

Any advice, thanks!!!
I've got one of these 50 watt over my 47gal tank.http://eiko.com/Products.aspx?CatID=94&ProductIndex=SP50/955K
Site. http://eiko.com/Products.aspx?CatID=94
This is where I bought it. http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/eiko_05622ek_sp50_955k.asp
30w also available.
It performs as I expected it too.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
21,012 Posts

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
4 23W Floods? Are the CFL Flood lights good for growing plants?
I have a single 14w CFL hung vertically in an aluminum cone lamp, suspended about 5 inches above a 10g tank. No CO2. And I pull clumps of string algae out every week during maintenance.

So, yes, they'll work well for plants. And then some :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.