The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just a thought- 2 of the 5 cherries I got to "restart" the 10 gal shrimp tank had nice berries. One is greenish, the other kinda yellow. Yesterday I was watching them for a while and saw one of the eggs float out from under it's mom's tail. The eggs are all roughly 1mm or slightly larger. How long is the gestation period for cherries? It's been a week since I got them. Should I be expecting any action soon? I've had a few succesful babies in my 58, but you can't see the shrimp in there enough to keep track of any ones that are berried.

Tommy

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
its usually about a month till they become free swimming shrimp, And usually about two months till you really see them around the tank much and redish.

From saddle to free swimming and somewhat red it seems to take about 3 months. +/- a little.

Once and a while the Eggs get out of the tail because its too full. Just yesterday I saw one of my shrimp almost loose an egg but she grabbed IT! Then took about 5-10 minuets putting it back with the rest of the eggs... Talk about a good mom!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I didn't realize it took that long. Now I know not to be be impatient.

Tommy

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Cool. I didn't realize it took that long. Now I know not to be be impatient.

Tommy
If you're impatient this hobby is great for you. Torture more or less... Before I started I was very impatient but I've learned to be much much more patient with stuff now, So at least the hobby has done something for me.

And if you look at times for other animals Dwarf shrimp have a very short period before they're shrimp.

-Andrew

·
Registered
889 Posts
Once and a while the Eggs get out of the tail because its too full. Just yesterday I saw one of my shrimp almost loose an egg but she grabbed IT! Then took about 5-10 minuets putting it back with the rest of the eggs... Talk about a good mom!

-Andrew
Wow, that is awesome:eek: No one gets left behind:biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts