The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45g cube, 23X23X23.

I know there are a LOT of variables on this, but basically how long would you think a 5lb can would last on a tank like this, moderately lit?

How long does your 5lb can last on a 40-55g? I'm looking for a bigger can but I just got an offer on a VERY nicely priced 5lb can that I will buy regardless and use it as backup.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
By the way, regardless of the price of the cylinder, check on refill/swap prices. My refill shop does a 5lb for $12, and a 20lb for about $15. So, in a year, I might refill my 5lb 4 times, and a 20lb once. That's a savings of over 30 bucks, plus 3 trips to the shop.

I can buy a 5lb locally for around $65, and a 20lb online (check beverageelements.com, or their Evilbay store) for around twice that price, for 4 times the gas. Think this one through before jumping on the deal. It may work for your needs, or not.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ummm... My guess would be 3 months.
ill say 3 sounds bout right but if your lean like kev said u might get 6 out of it, it really depends on what rate/time u set it at. as u know there are variables so depending on those and ur setting rate/time will decide your overall lenght. also are u going to fully empty or change at 500psi? ive got about 3-4 weeks once my pressure drops on my 20lb so really just test it out if its within that range your fine imo. only hands on exp can really tell u imo.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
do you guys know where to fill 5lb+ tanks at? I ask my Sport Challet/ Big 5 they only refill co2 up to 20/24oz.

do I have to look locally for it on yellow pages for mom n pop co2 shop?

(I currently have 20oz paintball... thinking to upgrade but don't know where to buy/refill BIG co2 tanks) and If you say $15 for 20lb... why not? Mine cost $3.50 for 20oz... in long run 20lb = 35 bucks lol... :(

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
do you guys know where to fill 5lb+ tanks at? I ask my Sport Challet/ Big 5 they only refill co2 up to 20/24oz.

do I have to look locally for it on yellow pages for mom n pop co2 shop?

(I currently have 20oz paintball... thinking to upgrade but don't know where to buy/refill BIG co2 tanks) and If you say $15 for 20lb... why not? Mine cost $3.50 for 20oz... in long run 20lb = 35 bucks lol... :(
welding stores or fire equipment companies. I only pay $11 to fill a #5 tank at the place that fills co2 fire extinguishers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
my local airgas charge $32 for a 5lb refill... need to find another refilling station.
Didnt know Airgas refilled, that they only exchanged. Yes find a fire extinguisher business.

Do you have it refilled or do you swap ?

Most welding shops (100% in Memphis Market) swap. Only one place in town REFILLS and thats a fire extinguisher business.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unless the 5# is a steal, I would try to get at least a 10#, as 10# and larger have 2 big advantages, they last longer while only requiring slightly more $ to refill, and if you have a dual stage regulator or larger single stage, a 5# might not be stable which is annoying.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
welding stores or fire equipment companies. I only pay $11 to fill a #5 tank at the place that fills co2 fire extinguishers.
Man im glad you posted this and I read this thread. I just googled "fire extinguisher refill st.louis" and found a place close to my house that charges only $14 for a swap! CeeKay is $22 and Airgas (just raised prices) is $31!

This is why I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Those tanks need to be checked from time to time to make certain they can hold pressure. You should swap to be safe.
That is exactly why your cylinder is stamped with a hydro-static test date. You can't get it refilled unless it's current. To heck with swapping out my nice, shiny aluminum cylinders for rusty old steel ones, haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts