The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 130g planted tank with twin star E series lights, aqua soil and CO2 injection. My question is.....how long would it take to go trough a 5lb bottle? I plan to get a larger bottle, maybe up to 35lbs. But I can extrapolate the consumption rate since not many people have a bottle that large. .

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I am setting up a 130g planted tank with twin star E series lights, aqua soil and CO2 injection. My question is.....how long would it take to go trough a 5lb bottle? I plan to get a larger bottle, maybe up to 35lbs. But I can extrapolate the consumption rate since not many people have a bottle that large. .
This depends on a lot of factors, but, fwiw, I go through a 10lb bottle on a 68 gallon tank in 3-4 months. That's holding a 1.4-1.5 point drop for the entire lighting period (i.e., coming on hours before the lights do) with a lot of surface agitation and a surface skimmer.

If you were running it as high as me, maybe 1mo for a 5lb?

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are so many variables that it would.be difficult to approximate. I use a 5lb tank on a 55gal with par in the 90s and CO2 demanding plants that are all filled in and I go right at 6 months between fills. The guy above me said a 10lb tank lasted him only a few months.

How you introduce the CO2, how much surface agitation you have, what plants you have, and what stage of growth they are in have a huge impact on CO2 levels.

I think the best real answer you'll get is a 35lb tank would last you anywhere from a few months to a year or so

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long will a six-pack of IPA last you? Different from you, to me (who dislikes IPA!)

As said, too many variables.
Yeah IPAs are over rated! I guess I just wanted some general ideas since CO2 is new to me and I had litterally no clue with a tank that large how long a bottle might last, a day? a week? few months?

·
Registered
688 Posts
This depends on a lot of factors, but, fwiw, I go through a 10lb bottle on a 68 gallon tank in 3-4 months. That's holding a 1.4-1.5 point drop for the entire lighting period (i.e., coming on hours before the lights do) with a lot of surface agitation and a surface skimmer.

If you were running it as high as me, maybe 1mo for a 5lb?
How are you injecting your gas? I've got the same size tank as you, going through 2 RG reactors/canisters, and my 10lb only lasts maybe a month...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
How are you injecting your gas? I've got the same size tank as you, going through 2 RG reactors/canisters, and my 10lb only lasts maybe a month...
Interesting - I thought I'd win the burn rate contest in this thread!

I use a single 20" Cerges style reactor. It's on the filtration loop with the canister filter (FX4), an Eheim universal 1260 pump, and a UV sterilizer. Input to the tank is a spraybar.

I've got the FX4 turned off (wasn't enough on its own and was only adding noise in addition to the Eheim), so all the pump power is coming from the Eheim, which puts out more than is needed/usable as in-tank flow. Flow is reduced with a back pressure valve on the reactor, which makes it extra efficient.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Interesting - I thought I'd win the burn rate contest in this thread!

I use a single 20" Cerges style reactor. It's on the filtration loop with the canister filter (FX4), an Eheim universal 1260 pump, and a UV sterilizer. Input to the tank is a spraybar.

I've got the FX4 turned off (wasn't enough on its own and was only adding noise in addition to the Eheim), so all the pump power is coming from the Eheim, which puts out more than is needed/usable as in-tank flow. Flow is reduced with a back pressure valve on the reactor, which makes it extra efficient.
Hmm. Something's obviously wrong on my end then. Even at my 1 month burn rate I'm still struggling to get my DC lime green. Might have to look into swapping out the RGs for something more efficient. They're not airlocking or otherwise struggling to keep up though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.