The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three years ago I bought 3 red cherry shrimp (2 adults, there was a baby one in the bag with them). Chances are good that the 3 original shrimp were related. So doing what comes natural, there have been lots of shrimp. I am sure there have been mutations that are not survivable. Given that information how long do you think my shrimp will continue to survive and reproduce?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Soothing has more info on this subject. But generally speaking from someone who knows nothing about shrimp genetics. From what I gather shrimp retain one of the most diverse genetic make ups. Meaning they can cross with family for generations and generations with no ill effects and still have a very diverse gene pool.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I started with 6 RCS from the same source about 6 years ago, never added any new ones and they still breed happily. I would guess a very long time.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I'm aware of one study that was done and found shrimp to be well diversified with genetics even past the 10th generation of inbreeding. Theory has it that unlike mammals then tend to wander off to other locations, shrimp have developed this diverse-ness as survival because being in small areas (puddles, etc.) for an extended period of time where they cannot add new blood.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Thank you for pressing the self-destruct button. This shrimp will self-destruct in three minutes.
*insert cheap blue screen explosion over tank*

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
=) Thank you for your answers! My thought it that Red for the shrimp is not natural. It had to be brought out through a lot of inbreeding. From what I just read, the shrimp can reproduce up to every 30 days. They come to age 2 months after birth. So I would have to say I have around 15 generations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.