The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought 4 gouramis last Saturday.

I have a 55 gallon tank that things are going well at this time.
We have a school of red eye, and phantom tetras.

The plants have recovered from my green water.

How long does it take to make sure they are not carrying any disease or parasite?

·
Registered
588 Posts
My wife bought 4 gouramis last Saturday.

I have a 55 gallon tank that things are going well at this time.
We have a school of red eye, and phantom tetras.

The plants have recovered from my green water.

How long does it take to make sure they are not carrying any disease or parasite?
I would qt for a minimum of two weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
On a side note, 4 full grown gouramis might be a bit much in a 55, unless they are of the dwarf variety.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The minimum is two weeks, but I do a month to be on the safe side. In my experience the common disease's like ich show up pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I second the above 1 month to be on the safe side. I also always treat my new fish with QuICK Cure, for the first week even if they don't seem to have Ich.

·
Registered
588 Posts
2 are dwarf and 2 are opaline gouramis.

The opaline gouramis could approach 6 inches. They are currently 3 inches.
I've got both opaline and flame dwarf. The opaline runs my 55. The flame dwarf is in a 20 long. Hopefully you don't have fin nipping issues.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought 1 month was the bench mark but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were.

I hope they aren't too aggressive and bully the tetras. I love to watch the fish interact together and strive to have peaceful tanks.

Hopefully, by the time the opalines are bigger the tank is more densely planted.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It depends on the temperature of your quarantine tank too, ich runs its life cycle a lot faster in warmer water. If your QT tank is cooler then you might have to quarantine for longer. I keep my QT tanks above 80 degrees and when I start to see ich I crank it up to 86 degrees. Make sure your running an airstone!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts