The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my former community tank over to a planted tank, replacing everything except my former commmunity fish. To "jump start" the new tank I placed a good-sized bag of geravel from the old tank to seed the cycle for the new tank. How long should I leave the bag of "seed" gravel in the new tank?

·
Registered
695 Posts
If You are going to add plants you don't need to jump start the tank since the plants will take care of it. Just make sure you get everything you need and have atleast 2 wpg over the tank if you want to grow low/med light plants. What sized tank is this ? You should check out Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks it will help answer most of your questions

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Plants will use ammonia. In planted tanks, we actually add nitrates to the water because the plants use it up at a good speed.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If You are going to add plants you don't need to jump start the tank since the plants will take care of it. Just make sure you get everything you need and have atleast 2 wpg over the tank if you want to grow low/med light plants. What sized tank is this ? You should check out Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks it will help answer most of your questions
Er?

I think the OP meant jumpstarting the denitrifying bacterial colonies, in which case, I agree with yoink, 2-3 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.