The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So here's my question: I'm starting up a new riparium/paludarium of some sort, and I'm curious how long I need to let it run before adding my new RCS. There are only 7.5 gal of water and it is 100% fully established water from a different tank. I ran the filter in the established tank for 2 days prior to setting up the new tank. Substrate is new eco-complete, and was moderately planted 2 days ago. Plants and driftwood also from the old tank. Do I just do a water test and go for it if all is well? I'd really like to get them in there soon. Please let me know your thoughts,

thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
I say go for it, or without any bio load the cycle will start over on its own anyway.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's definitely a risk to just go for it. Do you have any ammonium hydroxide at hand? You can get it cheap at Ace hardware (house brand). If you dose enough to reach 5ppm and it's all converted into Nitrate after 2 days you are fine. That's a quick "test" you can do within a couple days and it will save you $$$, frustration and possibly the shrimps life! And if the ammonia is not converted in that time frame, you're not cycled yet.

But not knowing if you have enough bacteria to support *any* bioload is very risky.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I went for it. No deaths to report. I tested beforehand, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia. I think the 100 percent established water and tons of plants did the trick. And of course the super healthy shrimp from epicfish! They already look great against the black eco complete.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Update: I went for it. No deaths to report. I tested beforehand, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia. I think the 100 percent established water and tons of plants did the trick. And of course the super healthy shrimp from epicfish! They already look great against the black eco complete.
I got my shrimp from epicfish too. They are very bright red, and I now have a whole colony of them. :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts