The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 gallon tank, I planted dwarf hair grass and monte carlo in flourite subtrate. I used flourish tabs and I dose daily with excel.

I have a 12 watt LED 7500k light. The girl at my LFS said 8 to 10 hours is too much for such a small tank because the light is so close to the plants. She recommended 5 to 6.

I have been doing 5 but recently moved up to 6 because I wasn't seeing much growth. Now I am wondering if I should keep them on longer.

So how long should I keep my lights on?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
One of the nice things about lighting is that it is very easy to adjust the photo period.

I would start at about 8 hours and see how things go. If you have algae issues that seem to be caused by the lighting, you can cut it back to 6. If your not getting the plant growth you expect, you can bump it up to 10. Either way, see how you do and them make the adjustment.

It's kind of hard to give you an exact length of time because every tank is different. What is average light for me might be way too much or too little for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.