The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should I keep my black molly in a melafix hospital tank?

Originally, he was floating on the surface for a few days then was like up sided down in plant. I have put him in a hospital tank and followed a dose of Melafix for 7 days.

The fish is just kind of hovering on the bottom on the tank, not upsidedown and not floating to the surface anymore.

I don't want to kill him with the melafix, do you think I should put him back in the tank after 7 days of treatment?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
When the fish swims around, does it have trouble remaining balanced, causing it to swim funny?
Sounds like it has a swim bladder issue.
A epsom salt bath should help.

Does the fish look bloated in any areas at all?

Though fish can be found swimming odd simply because they are dying for one reason or another.
Check as many water parameters as you can (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH, temperature) and let us know.
Mention any other symptoms that may help identify what is wrong (disease).

Try and spot feed that molly so it has a chance of getting some nutrition if it is currently unable to reach any food.
Is the Melafix showing any signs of improvement? Melafix is a gentle med so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Mollies like salt in their water, so adding that can be beneficial. Follow directions (don't dump too much at once).

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A hospital tank should be used until the fish is healed not just until you're done dosing any particular medicine. Melafix is pretty tame as far as "medicines" are concerned so I wouldn't worry about killing the fish. A better questions is whether or not melafix is really the right treatment choice. Did you see any symptoms other than what you've mentioned? Sounds like something is still off since the fish is now just hovering at the bottom like you say.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.