The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have a 20# CO2 setup on my 55 gallon and I replaced about 58 days ago and I came home tonight and it's empty and the algae has tore off today

Is this right for that much CO2? I'm heading to AirGas tomorrow to refill it before the algae situation goes insane further in the tank but 2 months for 20 lbs ?

Thanks!

PS I'm running at approx 150 BPM

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is pretty short for a 20# tank. I run a 20# tank on my 120g and it will last me close to three months with co2 being run through a dual manifold to get gas in on both sides of the tank.

Use a q-tip to apply some liquid soap around the connections on your regulator to find the leak. This method has served me well in the past.

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
I agree; 2 months does seem a bit short for a 20 pound cylinder.

As mentioned, I would go over all your joints and connections with some soapy water to see if there is a leak anywhere (after you refill your cylinder, of course).

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the leak issue it was on the back side of the nut that attaches the regulator to the tank, small bubbles galore! so some plumbing tape fixed it right up Thanks for the help guys hopefully this one lasts longer :)

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
I found the leak issue it was on the back side of the nut that attaches the regulator to the tank, small bubbles galore! so some plumbing tape fixed it right up Thanks for the help guys hopefully this one lasts longer :)
You should not need teflon tape to attach the regulator to the CO2 cylinder; a new nylon washer should do.

I never use teflon tape on that particular connection.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HMM IDK I put in a new washer it was bubbling once I put some teflon tape around it it was fine I've checked it a few times since and I'm not seeing any bubbles form and I pressurized the regulator then turned off the valve and it didnt seem to lose pressure

Any idea why it would be leaking without the tape ? I mean it's a minor thing putting on the tape, I am just wondering if it may be a problem with the reg

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You have other problems then. Among the problems that using teflon tape on CGA fittings is that it can lead to ruptures. Only use teflon on tapered fittings. Fix the problem before you have REAL problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts