The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the answer is 'it depends,' but I am wondering what any CO2 experts would predict as to how long a 10lb tank lasts on my system. Typical regulator, 3-way splitter, etc.

The tanks are a 100g (6'x18"x18"--with an overflow and wet/dry filter, so I need to have it cranked) heavily planted, a 65g (36"x18"x24") heavily planted and a 50g which is moderately planted and runs very light on the CO2. There isn't much else about the setup I can think of as relevant, so what does anyone think? I seriously don't want to taint any responses by implying that I go through it too slowly or quickly, so I won't say anything else for now.

Though I guess it may be obvious in the fact that I'm posting the question on a forum... :icon_roll

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm running around 4-5 BPS and once I switched over to Clippard tubing, I went from swapping my 10# cylinder every 2 months to not having had to do it yet since I switched the tubing. That was 4 months a go, on a partial cylinder.

Tommy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually a little less than three months, but close enough. It just seems to go down faster than it should, and then I stop and think about it and it kind of makes more sense...

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is curious I have 90G and I replace my 10lbs tank every 3 weeks like clock work. I have checked for leaks, and so on but nothing is leaking. I also use Vortex CO2 reactor from aquariumplants.com, they say it is the best on the market. I am not sure what else to check for. ANy suggestions? Even the gys at the welding shop where I get my CO2 are saying there must be a leak. I yet have to find it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
This is curious I have 90G and I replace my 10lbs tank every 3 weeks like clock work. I have checked for leaks, and so on but nothing is leaking. I also use Vortex CO2 reactor from aquariumplants.com, they say it is the best on the market. I am not sure what else to check for. ANy suggestions? Even the gys at the welding shop where I get my CO2 are saying there must be a leak. I yet have to find it.

What tubing are you running? The blue silicone type leaks like a sive. I used to run out quickly too, until I switched to the Clippard tubing.

Tommy

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
10 lbs every three weeks on a 90 gallon tank?

That's way too quick. What kind of bubble rate are you running in there? Do you have CO2 escaping from the reactor?

And I can't stress this enough. Check for leaks. And then check again. IME you have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went from the regular Air tubing to the blue silicone tubing and the CO2 is still out in 3 weeks like clock work. I checked for leaks the following ways:

1. Soap and water mixture. No leaks.

2. Shut off the CO2 cylinder, turn off the CO2 reactor. According to the guys from the welding shop pressure should be maintained in the system, and it was.

The bubble rate is off the charts, It is almost an even stream of bubbles coming from the bubble counter. If I reduce the bubble count then the pH starts to claim up right away. It has been like this for a year now, I had to buy another CO2 tank so that I don't have to drive to get my CO2 that often. The closest re-fill for me is 40 minutes drive one way.

The only other thing that I can assume is that because my KH is on a higher sider (13 degreees) it takes a lot of CO2 to drop the pH from around 7.3 down to 6.4. My spray bar is only disturbing the water just a bit, so it is not causing too much CO2 loss. My parameters have neen stable for a year that I have the aquarium set up. KH varies form 12 to 14 degrees, anf GH varies form 11 to 13 degrees. I would thing that it is pretty stable.

I am open to suggestions on what else to try.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Try some real CO2 tubing. That blue silicone tubing is the worst choice you can make.

Tell you what. Take some pictures of your system. Send them to me via Email. I will set you up. In fact I will charge you nothing more than shipping. Then if it works you can pay me for the tubing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I switched from the blue tubing to actual CO2 tubing on my old DIY setup, my diffuser was putting out at least twice the bubbles.

I would take Rex up on his offer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Damn... no wonder my #20 is empty after a month! Rex I just pm'd you for the REAL CO2 tubing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will definitely take some pics tonight and try to post/send them. Maybe, just maybe I am missing something. I though that the blue silicone tubing was for CO2?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I will definitely take some pics tonight and try to post/send them. Maybe, just maybe I am missing something. I though that the blue silicone tubing was for CO2?

Nope, the silicone stuff is more or less for O2 only. It's so porus with CO2 it's not even funny. Like I said, I haven't swapped out my 10# cylinder since I changed over, and it was a partial fill when I did it. I used to swap every 3-4 weeks.

Tommy

·
Registered
135 Posts
i'll do a bubble count on my DIY that i was unknowing using the blue hose on, and then i'll swap to the only other option i have at the moment (black airline) and see if it changes. Meanwhile i'll search out for a local supplier of better quality line. Its only a DIY system but i'd like to get more Co2 in the tank.

I read awhile back, now that i think about it, that the blue line supposedly loses 6% of the Co2 per foot...if thats true i'm loosing about 30% of my Co2 before it even gets to my reactor, especially since it works under a teeny amount of back preasure from the depth of the water.

i wonder if i'll see a difference, either way i'm not out anything and it cant hurt to try :).

jason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts