The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen my male Apisto. cacatuoides for days now. I checked around the tank & it hasn't jumped. Haven't seen it at feeding. Granted that I don't watch it constantly, but the female is around. Is there a behaviour that they hide for a while? No body either so I don't know for sure its dead.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I go through this with shrimp all the time, dwarf frogs. I buried an assassin snail under substrate for about 3 months after rescapping a few times till he finally came out. lol. Unless you have something thats a big predator in the tank that would eat a dead fish right away, keep looking. Its hard sometimes. I lost one neon and never saw him again, nor a body but I know the snails and shrimp will eat anything dead pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I had a Tiger Barb disappear for 2 weeks. When I went to rescape the tank and take out all the fake plants and decorations, I heard him flapping inside of a fake piece of wood. I don't know what he was eating, but he was totally healthy and plump

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Haha, when I was a kid, my favorite fish, a clown loach, just disappeared one day. I looked all over my room for it thinking it must have jumped out of the tank. Years went by and I was tearing down the tank when I pulled a cowrie shell out and heard a sound coming from it. That goofy loach was in that stupid shell for like 2-3 years..

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Saw my horse face loach this morning for the first time in at least six months. He must not be very happy since he had a really long face.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had about a foot long pleco dissapear on me once. Not exactly a lot of places for a fish that long to hide. Finally found him about 3 years later during a move. He had jumped out and managed to wriggle himself under about a half inch gap under the stand (still not sure how he did that, he had a considerably larger girth then that). The fun part was the stand was by a heater vent and this happened in the middle of a really cold winter. This led to very dry dessicating conditions and a perfectly preserved pleco. It was a big hit at the pet store I worked at at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts