The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm returning from 25 years out of the hobby, so pardon this simple question. Logic tells me a new filter with new biomedia would "stock up" in a couple days being added to a fully cycled tank .. please confirm? I have a dirt/planted tank & just added CO2 & want to remove the HOB filter once my canister filter is loaded with BB.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I'm returning from 25 years out of the hobby, so pardon this simple question. Logic tells me a new filter with new biomedia would "stock up" in a couple days being added to a fully cycled tank .. please confirm? I have a dirt/planted tank & just added CO2 & want to remove the HOB filter once my canister filter is loaded with BB.

Take the media out of the HOB and put it in the canister filter.

If you don't do that, how long till you get good bacterial coverage? My gut tells me a couple of weeks, but it's just a guess based on shortest time a tank might be cycled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response.

The biomedia in the canister filter seems to have better coverage area so I'd prefer to let it build up to then solo run the already cycled tank (65G). I'm currently running both, the mature HOB & the recent canister addition. Just waiting to retire the HOB for backup duties once I feel the canister has matured. Hoping for guidance on how long that will take as it's harder to have floating plants w/ the HOB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.