The Planted Tank Forum banner

how long does the CO2 last?

1841 Views 26 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  lwinpet
i got a 20# co2 tank and it only lasted me a month before it was empty. how long is it suppose to last? also, what psi should i have it running at?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
wow only a month? on a 20# that means there probably is a leak. my 5# lasted me 6 months
+1
I have a 20 lb tank that I have been using for over a year and it's still going.
What size tank was the co2 being injected into, an what was the BPS set at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would also say there is a leak, but it is possible to go through a tank in a month (of course, without more information, it is impossible to say).
+1 Leak. You can find the leak by getting liquid soap and a Q-tip, and apply to possible leak areas, if you get bubbles, there is a leak. Obviously dont get the soap in the tank.
what psi should i set the regulator at?
Definitely sounds like a leak. 20# of CO2 in one month is a lot. Definitely use some soapy water to find the leak. I had the same issue when I set up mine, and it was leaking at my high pressure guage. Went through 2 5# tanks before I figured it out. I keep my regulator at 25psi on the low pressure side.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
+1 on the leak, unless you have an 800g tank. It could be as simple as a missing nylon washer, no teflon tape, or simply not tightening connections down with a crescent wrench.

Soapy water and a dollar syringe (check your local pharmacy) makes for an easy check.

EDIT: I'm assuming you have a solenoid on your setup, and that the solenoid is on a timer along with the lighting. Running CO2 24/7 still wouldn't exhaust a 20# tank in anything near as little as a month - probably ...at least in anything less than a massive tank - but I figured i should mention it.
what psi should i have it running at
I always set the working pressure to 20#. I see some people that recommend 15#, but my cheapo regulator doesn't seem as stable at that pressure.
wow only a month? on a 20# that means there probably is a leak. my 5# lasted me 6 months
...you both have leaks apparently
My 5 lbs. tank just went empty on Sunday, after 8 months and 6 days of use. A 20 lbs. should be able to last a lot longer, I'm guessing it could last me 2 years at least. Better start looking for a 20 lb. tank. I just found a guy selling one for $90 on Craigslist, will see if he'll let me have it for $80 after I check on the hygro date.

Leaks, check for leaks!!

E
i don't have a timer set for the co2. it is on 24 hours. am i suppose to turn it off at night and turn it back on in the morning?
I set my co2 at 4-6 bps (29 gallon). I refilled my 5lb this febuary, and now its hovering around 500lbs, yea almost time to refill. I set my regulator at 12 psi and diffuse it with a hydor ario 1.
Yes, you should have it turned off when the lighting period is off. Plants don't use CO2 when there's no light. Set the lights and CO2 to the same timer for +-8 hours per day. Still, you have a leak. use soapy water and find it.
What Kevmo911 said! Plants don't only stop using CO2, but they produce it at night. Be careful or you'll gas your fish overnight. But also, make sure you find that leak, there's really no way I see you going through that much CO2 in a month without a leak.

Josh
i have a 5# tank on a 20gal...RG style reactor...I could easily get 1.5years offa it
I have 2 paintball CO2 tanks for a 10gal tank...RG style reactor...they get 4-5months ea. easily

...beautiful green drop checkers on both tanks
i have a 5# tank on a 20gal...RG style reactor...I could easily get 1.5years offa it
I have 2 paintball CO2 tanks for a 10gal tank...RG style reactor...they get 4-5months ea. easily

...beautiful green drop checkers on both tanks
A 20g isn't a very large tank. What if they have it hooked up to a much larger tank than yours, plus they could be pushing more co2 into the tank than you.

Over all, CO2 demands are very different from tank to tank, judging on size, lighting, and plants involved. People can give ballpark figures, but they don't seem very consistent to me.
just went to get it refilled. i was wrong on the size. it is a 15# and my fish tank is a 75gal. i bought another tank. just a 5# since i was not sure if the 15# was defective. had set my regulator for 20psi but now i am switching it to 10psi. bubbles per second is about 2-3.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.