The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Flourite only has trace Fe so it's good for along time before it turns to mush. I've used it for three years at a time without problems but I dose water column ferts so I don't depend on the substrate to do anything but give a good CEC count. The same is true for Eco in my opinion there both about the same in my book.

- Brad

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it worth it if im doing vals and dwarf sag only in certain places
and im doing shelldwelling cichlids...its probably better to do root tabs huh

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you are just doing limited planting I would say get the substrate you want and then add the root tabs.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was just thinking that i should use fluorite cause it costs about the same as my preferred substrate
the only plants i would have would be vals, dwarf sag, anubias and java ferns

but it would only be for certain areas so i guess its not really worth it

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Flourite only has trace Fe so it's good for along time before it turns to mush. I've used it for three years at a time without problems but I dose water column ferts so I don't depend on the substrate to do anything but give a good CEC count. The same is true for Eco in my opinion there both about the same in my book.

- Brad
Actually, there is more to flourite than iron as you are stating. Take a look at this link: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourite.html There are also alternate sites confirming there is more than iron as well. This is straight from the website:

"Flourite® is a red clay based gravel that is rich in ferric iron. Comparing Flourite® and laterite on the basis of their iron content alone is not a really valid comparison since they are really quite different products (the old apple and oranges argument). Their iron content is going to be roughly pretty similar, but with each the actual content can vary from lot to lot. Since we don't market it as an iron supplement, we don't make any claims on exactly how much iron it delivers to the water per se. What it does do though is provide a rich source of iron (more than enough to last years) for rooting plants... the plants are able to extract the iron from the Flourite®. There are also other features of Flourite which make it superior to laterite: (1) laterite is intended as a substrate supplement, i.e. you add it to your gravel... by itself it is not a suitable substrate because it will quickly break apart into, well, dirt (2) Flourite® is by itself a suitable substrate because it remains solid, does not fall apart,and can be cleaned and gravel vacuumed without unduly upsetting the substrate."

Now, as for my own experience, I have had it for over a year and it is still rock solid. Also, there are other's to go by: http://www.vickisaquaticplace.com/p45gal.html

C2C - I haven't regretted the day I purchased flourite. I started out with hornwort and a few basic stems of foxtail. After getting flourite, I was able to grow everything. It is worth the expense in my opinion. I have just gravel tanks, turface and flourite tanks. The flourite is the best with turface close behind.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've had it at least 4-5 years and it still grows plants well. It is hard to plant small plants in it though because of the larger grain size. I'm pretty confident that it never turns to mush as was stated by another poster.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so you have changed my mind...im going to get black but should i get sand cause its softer and i can plant things easier later on

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lighting

Is 4x65watt pc lights over a 60 gallon enough light for vals, dwarf sags, and dwarf hairgrass

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Decades, your personal taste will change before you need to replace it due to any changes in the flourite itself.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok cool ill try the sand
seems like itll be gentler on my plants when they start to grow
black sand...got to see if my boss will order 12 bags for me and his son

·
Registered
313 Posts
Is 4x65watt pc lights over a 60 gallon enough light for vals, dwarf sags, and dwarf hairgrass
2x65watt is all you will need in a 60gal. They are shallow tanks and light will not have any trouble maintaining more than adequate levels at the substrate.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea that amount of light is plenty. That is 4.3 watts a gallon, a bit on the high side. What kind of lights are they? You may not need all of that.
power compacts

2x65watt is all you will need in a 60gal. They are shallow tanks and light will not have any trouble maintaining more than adequate levels at the substrate.
really? so 2 watts per gallon is enough

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I had 2 X 65 pc watts on my 55 gallon and grew lots of pretty plants, I had reds without stunning colors, but algae free growth overall. If you get the 4 x 65 can you turn off one of the sets of lights? If so, I would opt for it. That way you could experiment with the higher light on at different times, etc.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so with flourite, liquid fert, excel, and other trace element dosing i should be able to grow anything green that requires medium to low light

1 - 20 of 41 Posts