The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m having trouble with my pressurized Co2 system. Last time it took me 3 weeks to get it re-filled at my LFS, and the tank only lasted 3 weeks!

How long should the contents last, if I use it at a rate of 4-5 bps (tank is 100 gal). If this is going to happen every 3 weeks this is not going to work...

Last time I got a Nutrafin Co2 kit to help while the tank was re-filled, but I´m now wondering if I should just quit the pressurized and go with a DYI system and just do the sugar thing...

How can I ensure a 4-5bps rate with a DYI? Aprox how many bottles you think I´ll need?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You definitely have a leak somewhere. NO WAY to use that much in three weeks. I have a 10 lb tank and it lasts 2 months or more. Take some soapy water and put it in a spray bottle. Spray all your connections. It will bubble up where the air is coming out.

3 weeks to get it refilled is a joke! I hope you can find a place that is much faster at this. I do have 2 tanks so that I can always have one on my tank while the other is being refilled.

Take heart! Once you get the kinks worked out you'll love it. It's so much easier and much more consistent than DIY. You just have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Definitely going to do the soap and check all over. I was very frustrated last night when I saw no more co2 bubbles :(

It´s just so difficult to get a tank re-filled here... I´ll probably get a second one to keep a spare while the other is being filled

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning on taking it to the kitchen sink later tonight, and see where the leak is. The funny thing is that I can´t hear a single noise of gas leaking...

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
You probably won't hear anything, very small leaks like these may not make any noise. I found a leak in a plastic check valve. For these connections I use a small cup of water and just submerge the individual parts.
btw, I have a 35 lb tank that has been going for 6 months and hasn't dropped below 800 psi the entire time. I imagine a 22 lb tank will last at least a year.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
You won't be able to hear the leak at all. Just take some soapy water and dab it all over your joints to see where the leak is coming from.

As people have mentioned, there is no way a 22 lb tank will only last 3 weeks at a bubble rate of 4-5 bps.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I was planning on taking it to the kitchen sink later tonight, and see where the leak is. The funny thing is that I can´t hear a single noise of gas leaking...
Don't take it to the sink. You are going to find your leak in 2 seconds, fix it in 5 minutes if you have the part, and be done. Don't make a production out of it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to the LFS to change the tank for a full one. This time I ran soap all over it after connecting it and couldn´t see a single bubble. Let´s hope this time it lasts what it should!

I already had a Nutrafin kit working just in case they could take 3 weeks again to re-fill my tank. Man these things do work quite well, it bubbles a lot!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Here's something else that you should do. After you connect your new CO2 cylinder, go back and retighten the regulator's nut the next day. It can loosen and have a small leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts