The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two packages coming, one is plants, the other is shrimp.
I'm wondering how long each can last in the mail?
Apparently my plant package made a speedy journey to New Hampshire, then has sat there for the next 24 hours! My shrimp were sent from NJ to PA back to NJ and then have say for 10 hours.
I'm kind of freaking out because this is the first time I've gotten things through the mail, and I've read that without light, plants will die in three days! [[a blackout in your tank to try to kill algea]]
I'm hoping you guys can ease my fears!!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I moved you thread here because nobody can reply in the FS section. Shipping time is relative to alot of things Weather and plant/shrimp type. Delicate shrimps can die in 24 hours where as Neos can live for a few weeks in a small amount of water. The same goes for plants. A sword will be fine for a few weeks but Macrandra can melt in a couple days. I wouldnt freak out. Ive shipped AND recieved alot and rarely do you get a bad shipment, even when off track an extra day or three. Most folks here want you to recieve your stuff in as healthy condition as possible and take the time to pack them properly.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I've heard plenty of stories where packages have been lost, even smashed up to the point where they lose some water, and the livestock still makes it. Of course, this is not what you want. But as long as they come in alive, you can pamper them and make them happy again. Just out of curiosity, what types of shrimp/plants are we talking about?

·
Registered
489 Posts
The first two times I ordered shrimp, I got them from the East Coast, and they shipped to my home in Phoenix, AZ. I was FLIPPING out. I didn't see how they could possibly survive the 4-5 day journey.

Just so you know... I ship a LOT of shrimp now, and have sold to people in Hawaii, NJ, Maine, and even Canada all from my home in Phoenix. I have only ever had 1 single DOA of the hundreds of shipments I have made. That particular one happened because the kordon bag leaked for some reason. Other than that, I have seen some hardy shrimp last 8-9 days in the mail. I once placed some neo's in a kordon bag at my home to see how long they would live without additional food (only a sprig of moss to graze over). They lived for 11 days like that!!!!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much guys!
Im getting some Cherry Shrimp, and the plants are anubias, parrots feather, java fern, frogbit, some mosses, Guppy grass some rotalas and some others..

Thanks for helping me calm down..I get so nervous!
Thats crazy that they lasted 11 days!

And Thanks Chad, i really didnt know where to put this! Lol

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I met a guy who did an experiment with anubias and he was able to keep an anubias in a bag in his closet for 2 months and then took it out and still was able to grow it. I haven't lost anything in the mail besides some shrimp (higher grade CRS) and the members here are always wanting you to get live stuff. They either refund you or ship it out again. I have had a deal gone bad once or twice, but thats what you get when dealing with 200 some packages over a year. Some people are just crazy.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just ordered 250 shrimp from Taiwan and it got stuck in custom in JFK New York for over 10 days all lived but one bag of 25 all died but got a refund.

It took about 14 days since he sent them to me

100 SS fire red cherry
100 orange shrimp
50 green shrimp

Total paid for all those shrimp was only $360 but the seller refunded me $115 so I only paid $245 for over 250 shrimp (well only 225 shrimp because one bag of it DOA) still good for less then a buck a piece.

1 bag of 25 orange shrimp died (smelled like crap)

The rest lived

Also he sent me 50 yellow shrimp instead of green shrimp by mistake also got my money back for that too.

I don't think weather has to do with anything if you order from over seas they are well packed and they sit in a custom wear house ,and the guy put ice pack inside instead of heat packs ,and it's pretty cold here in VA it has be in the 40's and 50's

It really comes down to who you buy it from and how well they pack it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts