The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've ordered Sumo equipment to upgrade my CO2 system. The cabinet in my Osaka is a little tight compared to more common cabinets. The storage area itself is only 23"H x 14"W x 17"D. The XP3 takes up a good portion of that.

So a 5lb cylinder will be tight. A 2.5lb would be easier to work with for filter maint, etc...

Begs the question of how long does a CO2 tank last? If I'd be refilling a 2.5lb every month, that's a bit of a nuisance, plus added expense. If even a 2.5 would last several months while delivering 2, or 3 bps, then that would be OK and I'll take the space savings.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
How big (volume wise) is your aquarium?

In general, for CO2, the larger the tank, the more economical it is. Tank prices are not that much different (i.e. $70 for a 5 lb tank, $80 for a 10 lb tank, $120 for a 20 lb tank, etc), and refills are generally the same (I pay the same amount regardless of tank size...).

I would say that a 2.5 lb tank would last perhaps a month, maybe 2 at most at 2-3 bps. Of course, you may require a higher bps depending on your tank size. The best way to check is with a drop checker to ensure you are getting 30 ppm of CO2 into your tank.

I believe Hoppy has said that for larger tanks (say 90 gallons or so), a bubble rate of 10 bps is not unheard of...a 2.5 lb CO2 tank would run out in no time flat.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I would think you might get a month to a month and a half. I use a 5lb tank running around 5bps on a 75 and get about 3 months out of it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. getting a new tank each month will be too ofter for someone like me that travels a lot.

I'l go with the 5 and just leave a coil of tubing so I can move it our of the cabinet on filter maintenance days.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts