The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my tank running for about 2mos and i just started really planting stuff. the plants have been setteld in for about a week now. so how long do you normally wait to add the shrimps in? im thinking about putting in some low grade. i only have 2 otocinculus fish and one tuxedo guppy. the guppy will be removed and eventually replaced with some amber color tetras later on. should it be ok for me to put in the shrimps or will i be expecting some spikes in water quality as the plants set in?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You should test your water. Heavily planted tanks using aqua soil can be cycled in two weeks....but I wouldn't say you are heavily planted. 2 months is a good amount of time for a cycle, so my guess would be that you are.

Plants will only speed up a cycle and add addition biofiltration. More plants will only help, not hurt...assuming the plants are getting their required amount of ferts, co2, and light...which it looks like you have the ferts and lights bit covered.

The only real answer is to test your water.

·
Registered
346 Posts
HI, i start my CRS tank two week ago with no shrimp on 30 gallon tank. i use straight tap water + 2 bag caribsea eco-complete and driftwood and few indian almond leaf. first 3days i test water 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. 7days 3 of the test show same. i change 80% water straight ro-di water and add some moss. the day 10 i test again the water show same. Confused new tank with no ammonia spike. Any way one of my friend have some bummble bee shrimp, he said give it a try. i put 10 shrimp in the tank. after 3 days shrimp swimming all around and eat. hope they will survive.
Any advise for the tank cycling! thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.