The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one, I have a 20 gallon tall set up in my livving room and can fit (eventually) a long tank (48") so it might be replaced with a something from 55, to 33 long but not just yet. In the mean time I made the mistake of taking some poor advice and moved some clown loaches in to this (what I now realize) much too tiny tank for them. Will they be ok for a while untill I can move them into something bigger? What's the ideal size tank for them? I wonder if I should find them a new home while there still young and small.

Any advise would be appreciated!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thye can get up to 12" but I am sure that'll be a long time.

I had 3 of them almost 3 years and it was in a 90G tank. Before that it was already in a tank at my former work place for unknowns years before I joined them.

They were around 3-4" when I took them and when they died the biggest was about 6-7" though instead of growing longer it was growing more in height wise. They were slow growers.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
They are slow growers, but they still can get a foot long.

I say plan around each fish getting to be 8", and realize that they like a lot of movement and to be with a lot of their own species. I would say, 75 is the smallest that I think is wise, but really, something longer would probably be better as well.

I've always felt that clown loaches are a hard fish to figure out exactly what to do with.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Based on loaches.com, not personal experience, they really should be in a 6' tank eventually, though I think a 4' is fine for several years. They really aren't suitable fish for most people with their delicacy, eventual size and desire for companions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.