1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the process to setting up a new tank
i know there are steps such as waiting a few weeks to add fish
but dont know the exact steps

·
Registered
221 Posts
edit: posted about the nitrogen cycle, which I guess wasn't what you were asking

as far as in planted tanks, I don't know. I think once the plants start growning a bit (and therefor using ammonia and nitrites/nitrates to grow) you can safely start adding fish.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Depends on how you've established the nitrogen cycle.

Since I generally bring at least mulm and filter media if not entirely established filters over from other tanks, I generally start stocking with inverts and then scavengers within the first week or two.

I usually try to give carpeting plants a chance to root and establish themselves before adding scavengers like catfish or loaches. But shrimp aren't heavy enough to uproot most plants so aren't a problem.

If you don't have other established tanks to pull from, then you probably should do a fishless cycle first. It IS very possible to establish "silent cycles" where the plants can absorb any ammonia spikes- but you have to have a pretty heavy plant mass to start off with and especially lots of fast-growing stems.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
not meaning to take over but would RCS mess up a new tank with plants?
I would personally wait until you have a well established tank before introducing any inverts. Shrimp are highly sensitive to Ammonia and Nitrites. New tanks lack the Bacteria needed to processes the chemicals.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not worried about the nitrogen cycle
i have live bacteria for my pond and cultured media
im worried about the algae blooms that happen when you set up a new tank

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was reading that there were certain kinds of plants to add first, fast growing stem plants
what are those and why do i add them first

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Fast growing stem plants will help the process of a "silent cycle" along by uptaking any ammonia that is present before it can harm the fish. This is because plants uptake ammonia preferentially to nitrates.

Fast growing stem plants include Hygrophila, Egeria, Hornwort, Elodea, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.