The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an 83 gallon tank with a Tek 216W fixture and I'm not getting the types of species to grow that I'd like to. Specifically I'm having a hard time with carpet plants.

My question is, how long is everyone running their lights? How long are they running both sets of bulbs?

I'm running a fairly reduced photoperiod with two lights on for about 6 hours and all of the lights on for about 3 hours of that 6 hours.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I run my lights for 8 hours, 110 watts raised 6 inches above a 45 gallon tank. No problems.

Is that light fixture sitting on top of the tank or raised up? It is a T5 fixture, right? If so, that is a lot of light for an 83 gallon tank, unless it is raised up above the top of the tank a few inches. But, using all of that light for only 3 hours doesn't sound bad. Why not try running the two lights for 8 hours total instead of 6? I think most people try to stay at 8 hours to 10 hours.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For me, it depends on the tank and the amount of lighting. Lowlight tanks its around 10-12 hours, medium light about 8 hours, and the other tanks vary from 5 hours to 6 or 7.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hoppy, thanks for the input, I think you're right, boosting the two light photoperiod was what I was thinking. I'm a bit nervous to really crank the light to it, mainly because I've not yet automated my fertilization. I have the tank autochanging 15% or so each day, so if I don't stay right on top of it the fert levels get low and the algae can start.

Having said that, the fish are so very healthy with that 15% daily, I've never had fish growing so healthily and vigorously.

Oh, and the lights are in a custom canopy, roughly 3 inches from the surface of the water.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would do lighting changes slowly, add 15-30mins to the period every week or 2 till you get to 8hrs. Leave the noon burst at 3hrs to start.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
How's your CO2?

I'd try 8 hours at the lower light level in addition to 4 hours "burst" if just the additional hour on the "burst" doesn't work.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
pretty much only when there is someone there to view the tanks, why keep them on if no one is there to see it?

my office tank's lights turn on 8:30am M-F, turn off around 6pm Mon-Thursday, 10pm Friday night. And only a few hours from 10am-2pm saturday and sunday.

my tanks at home, the lights turn on at 6pm, turn off around 10pm Mon-Friday. Saturday and Sunday they run 12noon to about 10:30pm.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm 8 hours for 3x54W T5 HO over my pressurized CO2 and EI-dosed 72 gal tank. Anymore hours than that and I get GSA on a lot of leaves. My plants grow really well. A little slower than when I was 4x54W and 10 hours of lights but on the other hand that's fine with me because I was getting sick of twice a week prunings!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My CO2 is really solid, I've pushed it down to 6.45 via CO2 from about 7.5 to 7.9 w/o. I've a closed loop system that does a very good job of keeping CO2 up.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
2 x 54 T5HO sitting on the rim of a 75 gallon. EI dosing, pressurized CO2, heavily planted. Good growth with minimal algae. It has turned into a very stable set up over the last few months.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
IDK how Jeff is running his, but I'm running 108w of T5HO for 6-8 hrs/day. No CO2/low tech tank though. If I go over 8 hours I start getting hair algae. My fixture sits on the Solar legs 2-3" over the tank.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I run a 6x39W Tek over a 40 gallon breeder tank.

8 hour photoperiod broken down like so: 3 hours with 2x39W, 2 hours with 6x39W, 3 hours with 4x39W. Running pressurized CO2 with a manifold to two reactors to keep up CO2 levels in the tank. I had a spare reactor, so why not.

Yes, it's a lot of light. No, I don't have massive algae issues. Fertilizers are dosed via a dosing pump with dual lines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts