Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have since a month BBA and I dose 3x recommended dose of excel
How is this possible
I think I can't go higher because I have shrimps

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Agree with Burr740, even in very dim light, if there is too much organic waste in the tank BBA will build up eventually. If you go into some older aquarium stores and look at their tanks that aren't well kept. Many times you will see BBA on everything. They usually have no plants to uptake the waste and they don't do enough maintenance and the tanks are not heavily lit, like they way we light our planted tanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Water changes and reduce feedings.

I find that bba grows whenever and where ever it wants, low or high light. Keep fighting it with excel and keep making small adjustments to your lights/ferts until you hit the balance point.

Alan

And What can i do against organic waste

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Water changes and reduce feedings.

I find that bba grows whenever and where ever it wants, low or high light. Keep fighting it with excel and keep making small adjustments to your lights/ferts until you hit the balance point.

Alan
This, plus I don't know your tank, but you could use carbon and/or purigen or other waste removal products in your filter, before they breakdown. What kind of plants do you have? Even removing unhealthy leaves will reduce the ammonia produced by decomposing organics.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thinks it is this a few months earlyer was my light broken so there was 3 weeks no light so some plants died this is mayby the reason now I have a new light and the plants grow very fast again

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
10 watts of LED light could be high light on that size tank and is probably high light. 10 watts of fluorescent light on that size tank could also be high light. What specific lighting are you using, and what are the dimensions of the tank? BBA grows very slowly for me if I have low light, and can be ignored or removed at my convenience.

Typically, Excel kills BBA, turning it pink or lavender, not yellow. Then the BBA turns white and the fish tend to eat it then.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
BBA seems to be prevalent in tanks with lots of nutrients. I always get them but in my low tech dirt tanks with high lights; plants grow fast and no BBA. There are some cladio and other forms of algae but minor. The snails and shrimps clean those up.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Is this your tank?

If this is the size of your tank, you may have from 50-60 PAR light intensity, which is too high to do without CO2 - at the same concentration in the water every day when the lights are on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.