The Planted Tank Forum banner

How important is having a clean-up crew?

• Very important! I plan one for all my tanks.

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • It's a big plus. I usually have one in my tanks.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • It's beneficial, but I only have one if I really want to keep those animals.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • It's not needed at all. Totally optional.

Votes: 1 2.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not limiting this question to fish even though it's in the fish section, but how important do you think a clean-up crew is to have for your planted tank? By cleanup crew, I'm talking about corys/pleco/shrimp/snails/otos etc, you get the idea.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Would you group algae crew as clean-up crew?
I always try to compensate my fish choice so i can have otto/SAE in my tanks.

IME, bristlenose and common pleco are bad, they produce more waste than they clean.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
It seems to me that they are more important in a SW tank than in ours. IME/O I believe that there are no inverts/fish that can actually prevent you from having algae issue. If you have too much light and no/inadequate co2 then there is no way to get around having nuisance algae in the tank.

Now if yo are just wanting to have some bottom feeders to catch the scraps the tetras dont eat that's good but sometimes this can post a more serious issue depending on your stocking levels and the amount of WC's you do on the tank.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Cleanup Crew Question

Hello Vee...

I have large tanks of Fancy Guppies and keep different kinds of Corys in all the tanks too. But, no more than 4 or 5 Corys per tank, so don't think they have an impact on keeping the substrate clean.

The cleaning part is my job. As the resident "Waterkeeper", I'm responsible for keeping the tank clean. So, I change half the water and service the filter equipment weekly.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm not worried about the stocking level or water changes or anything like that. I dose EI anyway so I'm changing 50% of the water each week, which involves me sticking the Aqueon auto water changer in the tank and watching TV for 25 minutes (yeah 25 minutes to drain half a 55G, the suction is really bad for me on the auto changer).

As for the stocking level, my current stock is 11 Harlequin Rasboras in a 55G. I don't think I'm approaching overstocked any time soon.

I just have no cleanup crew besides ~100 pond snails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.