The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just an anecdotal bit of information on getting my corys to spawn. I got most of the group in November, they wer not very big but one is a lot larger than the group and had long fins. She is the female, although I suspect one of the smaller ones is too.

I have been trying for a while to get them to breed. It is almost midway through autumn here, so it should be the right time. I have been feeding them bloodworms, flakes and bottom dweller pellets for a while now to no avail apart from conditioning. Finally got all the other fish out of there and dropped the temp to about 21C/65F. Still nothing. have done a number of cold water changes, even rainwater. I decided to try something else, I fed them some BBS for a few days ( well I threw it in the tank). I have a theory that fish try to ensure there is food for their offspring before spawning.

Anyhow about 4PM I went to look at the tank with the intention of doing another water change.

It was clear that something was up. 3 of the males were nearly bewildering the large female. Making her dart all over the tank. Eventually she mated with one, but then just swam around with her anal fins in a scoop shape. Took her about 15 minutes to figure out how to lay eggs. She is a bit clumsy and loosing quite a few on the gravel, but her preferred place for laying them seems to be on the glass next to the air stone. It is an unfiltered tank, kept pristine with water changes, lots of plants, and a mature bacteria colony in the gravel and on glass, I have intentionally let a tiny bit of green fuzzy algae grow on the glass.

Spawning continued for 3 hours.

Now I'm busy chasing snails, saw a pond snail eat two eggs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I can't add anything you seem to be doing every thing that I have done. I don't know if the temp 65 degrees is best I would like to see them at about 73 degrees and then a 65 degree w/c but that minor. Are you sure there old in enough?
Mine seem to be very active after the water changes. I have also had them breed with warmer water change too.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Theoretically my males are a little smaller than ideal, but they tried their best, hey.
Sorry, I was reading the thermometer wrong, instead of converting.... 21C is just north of 70.
I'm not sure if it is the temperature alone. Could be a combination of barometric pressure, temp, oxygenated water inflow, pH shift....
It was the first cold autumn morning that day.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I notice that males are smaller on most of the cory families. When mine breed it's always seems to be two males chasing one female. Were they lay the eggs seems to vary per specie. Some on the glass others on plant leaves. I have snails but have never seen them eat eggs. In community tank very hard to get many pass the fry stage. Just wondering what your ph and hardness is.

Not to change subject but have you ever breed farrowal cats? I have them breeding every month but haven't been able to raise one fry.

Nice photo!!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I have actually induced spawning with the cory's and Pleco's I keep at 75degree's F by adding warmer water at water change.
Did not do it on purpose,just never added cooler water during water changes.
Go figure.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, no, these are my first catfish breeding attempts.
Our water is slightly hard and normally just over pH7, which I am ok with. It is easier to manage long term than soft water.
The closed down fish farm just up the road from me, had no problems breeding cats though.

I have raised pretty delicate fry like dawrf gourami's and zebra danio fry.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Well about 7AM today I see they are at it again with the same female and she is swimming around with the fins in the praying hands position, cleaning leaves.
I suspect there will be new eggs already, but don't want to go and disturb them. Until the eggs harden there is little one can do anyway, apart from removing the parents, and that is not an option, I have nothing cycled and available. The eggs in the breeding net are really nice and brown now. It appears healthy eggs darken a bit each day. All eggs seemed well until the second day, when 2 fuzzed out. Could have been mechanical damage. The air stone got too close to the bottom of the net and blew air through it, to form a huge bubble underneath...I never use all the plastic to put them together as they just hurt fish. Anyway the short version is, things got bashed around a bit.

Yep. quite a few egg parcels. It is amazing to watch them spawn. The males swim tightly under over or against her side, while quickly vibrating, almost as if they are tickling her.
Then she would nuzzle his anal vent while he twists his body in a U shape. The female does this with the fins at her anal vent cupped together closed like praying hands. As she is sucking up the male sperm, you see the eggs drop into these cupped hands. Sometimes, the male and female would rest on the bottom for a minute or so before starting to look for a place to deposit the sticky eggs. She seems to put about 50% on the glass and the rest on the plants. She favours the valesneria. There are not that many eggs, as she is only able to lay 3 eggs max in each spawning (2 more often), maybe due to her smallish size. OK, then, till later.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My paleatus spawn quite frequently. Unfortunately usually in the morning. I often see spawning behavior before I have to leave for work and when I come home all the eggs are gone. Sometimes I get lucky and manage to remove a few before I have to leave for work. I place them in a cup of tank water and set them in a dark place, like under the bathroom sink. I add some meth blue, an alder cone, part of an Indian almond leaf or some fungus cure in order to prevent fungus. Most of them hatch, but usually not all. It is possible that I damage the eggs while removing them or maybe they were not fertilized. I raise them in a different tank until they are about 1/2 inch before I return them to the main tank. Every so often I find a tiny fry in with the parents that survived without my intervention but most of the time the parents eat the eggs. I can't tell you what triggers it, but feeding them live grindal worms or frozen bloodworms seems to help to get them going. I don't know if the water change with cooler water does anything for mine as that does not appear to be a factor. I do water changes every two weeks in their tank but their breeding seems random and not connected to the water changes.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, my lot loves the blood worms, and I have only spotted one or two eggs that didn't darken.

I think I was a bit over eager for hatching time. Apparently it is closer to seven days, which would be today.
The fry will be moved to my danio fry tank. They don't seem to chase smaller larvae. at least of their own species.
That tank gets green water for the smaller fry and BBS on a regular basis. The bottom has quite a bit of organic life going on, but is clean enough due to huge snail count.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think it is 109 hours for paleatus at 22C, My tank runs just a bit below that .
Yep they are in very well aerated water with a giant ball air stone with an air pump all to itself.
The tank is very clean. Mostly inert substrate, many fast growing stem plants, lots of moss, and bout 40% water change every 3 days or so.

I can definitely see something is happening in the eggs. Don't think it will be long now.

EDIT

Hahaaaaaaaa! , I see some little eggs with tails swimming around the bottom of the net They are huge compared to the danio fry I have been working with recently.

Guess there is no point trying to feed them yet. I have freshly hatched BBS I just harvested an hour ago and good green water.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Those fry do fine on crushed flakes as well. I also use tropical tablets from tetra min. They fall apart once in the water and make great fry food. I have micro worms and banana worms and vinegar eels but since some of the fry survived without help in the parents tank at times I don't think any of this tiny live food is necessary for their survival. Sinking pellets of any type should do the trick.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips. In my experience the faster fry get access to microscopic living food, the quicker they gain intestinal bacteria which helps with digesting and getting more value from food.

In humans we have the example of the Japanese, I think studies showed they get about 30% more nutrition from seaweed than the rest of us, due to their dietary consumption of it, increases the bacteria useful for breaking it down.
I have sinking pellets but not great quality, I use it more as supplemental feed for the adult catfish. I also have BBS, then a little larger, First Bites, a little larger again desheled artemia eggs, powdered Live bearer baby food etc...

Do you know at what stage they may start eating eggs (their siblings')? All the first eggs are swimming around allready, and the next batch is browning over nicely. I am amazed at how resistant the eggs are to fungused neigbouring eggs.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have kept 1/2 inch ones with newly hatched.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome, I was just scared for the second batch of eggs, I think they will only hatch in 2 days. I can't siphon out the first batch of fry without sucking up eggs too... So it would be best if they could just all stay together for a week or so, while I cycle a small 3 gallon tank for them.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Little update. I have about 40 something of the little buggers now in all different sizes. Collected 2 or 3 eggs at a time. They really shot up in size since I moved them from the breeding net. Will bring them out of the net sooner in future. You can see the influence of the long fin mom on that one in the bottom left corner.

Bandit the baby angelfish is looking at you fromthe tank behind. He has a black mask and a black dorsal fin. Looks radio controlled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.