The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

Just thought I would share a post that I made on another forum about telemarketers. I've been doing the below system for a number of years now and it really, really works! :proud: I am not personally interested in getting into a debate about telemarketers, telemarketing, etc, but if anybody has any specific questions about what I do or don't do and Why--feel free to ask. Its simple, straight-forward, effective and requires minimal investment of my time and energy. Please look over the " 'tude". :hihi: So, here ya go--give it a whirl for a few months:

Smileys and Emphasis added.

Not sure why this is so complicated for people to figure out. :rolleyes:

#1 Tool--get Your number Unpublished. Not Unlisted, but UNPUBLISHED. Costs a few $$$/month, but its money well spent. #2 below works very well, but this is an excellent first line of defense.

#2 Tool--Just Politely (<Keyword), but Firmly (<another keyword) interrupt them and say: "Can You please have them take me off of their call list?" Works over 90% of the time. About 2% of the time they will just hang up. The rest of the % they try to be firm back--just ignore it and stick to them removing you from the call list. DON'T make it personal--its not the telemarketers call list--its the company that they work for, so: "Can YOU please have THEM take ME off of THEIR call list?" Firm, but polite. If you upset them--they will just hang up and the computer will keep ringing YOUR phone. Hello? :icon_eek:

#3 Tool--Call the number back! Oftentimes they know why you are calling that number and they give you the option of being taken off of their call list.

#4 Tool--Do NOT BUY ANYthing from these people! Hello? :icon_eek: Apparently, if you do business with ANY of them--You go on some kind of "Sucker" list and EVERYbody starts calling relentlessly!

With these 4 Tools I receive hardly any TM calls, and the ones I do are usually from some family member signing me up for some stupid sweepstakes at the mall or the grocery store.....Hello? :eek: They collect +300,000 names, address and phone numbers nation-wide, sell them for a Buck a piece and then give away an Explorer or boat or some stupid thing that YOU won't win. Its all about the money-as usual.

I don't have the time or patience for an airhorn, script or any of that other stuff. What I do WORKS--and its fast, simple and effective. Sign me up for a sweepstakes, magazine subscriton or anything else--I'll chew Your Head off! :tongue:

HTH
I will add that if its a recorded message--most of the time: Pressing 1 or 0 on your phone will end the message and connect you to that live representative just waiting to hear you jump straight into Tool #2 above.....:biggrin:

Its appears that the National "Do Not Call List" is a Joke. But did Ya really think it wouldn't be? Hello?

Try my Product.....:biggrin:

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
a few years ago i had a problem with telemarketers at my home and office, and this is what ive been saying ever since...

after they introduce themselves i say.."can we continue this conversation at a time more convenient for me?"
the telemarketer says "sure, when would be better for you?",

then I ask if I can have thier home phone number, cause i would like to give them a call later that evening to discuss whatever they were selling.

and they say... well, actually I don't really want people i don't know calling me at home.

and then i say "know you know exactly how I feel"... and hangup.

the number of calls we get at the office has gone down to about 2-3per week, and even fewer at home. success!

ps... all credit for this tactic is paid directly to Jerry Seinfeld...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've had remarkable success with the Federal do-not-call list. I'd been getting around 12 calls a day until that came into effect, and when I moved, it started up again until I could get back on the list. A few slip through (mostly ones playing with the rules), but that list is so easy to sign up for, there's no reason not to do it.

And yeah, all the other tips listed too. Good stuff.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
My kids think the whistle thing is a hoot. They start lining up when the phone rings........DAD HAS THE WHISTLE!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just put my number on the no call list, take down names and companies for those that do call and threaten to report them if they call again. Failing that, I yell incoherent babble at the top of my lungs until they go away.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(mostly ones playing with the rules)
Yeah, including charities like Dove.org. Here's a quote from the website:

I’m on the National Do Not Call List. Why are you calling me?

Dove is a charity and as such is exempt from the Do Not Call legislation.
dove.org FAQ #2

Just an example of how rude and self-righteous these people are--they don't care about YOU while the whole time they are doing it all for YOU and YOUR Loved ones. What a bunch of hypocrites.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can YOU please have THEM take ME off of THEIR call list?"
Don't ask me how I know, but this won't work very often.

You must ask them to put you on their do not call list, not take you off their call list. There is a big difference. The company internal do not call list is shared with several companies that may do business with them, but just having them take you off their call list, you will be right back on the next one when they build it.

I haven't had a telemarketing call in a long time thanks to the federal DNC except the Fraternal Order of Police who act like they are your friend and ask how everything is going, then wham they are hitting you up for money.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
My favorite thing to do:

Act mentally unstable. Just start yelling at yourself and hitting the phone against something. That normally gets a "oh my God!" or *click*.

If all else fails, just tell the aliens to stop calling.

I hate those charities that talk real buddy buddy with you and when you tell them you can't donate, they just hang up. You can take your "charity" and......well shove it. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
974 Posts
My buddy repeats every word they say right back to them. After a while they hang up :) I think the longest anyone hung around was under a minute.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Oh, I'd say the Federal DNC does work. A company that you have done business with in the last 18 months (along with the charities and political organizations. Jeez, I hate election season,) though is designated as a legitimate business contact so they can call you. I was having trouble with BellSouth calling me all the time wanting to sell me long-distance service, etc., and finally remembered to tell them to "Please put me on your Do Not Call list." Problem solved. I don't get any TM calls. I do get the occasional call from skip-tracers looking for one of the umpty quadrillion billion people with the same common last name as my husband. But they've all been polite and go away with the promise to update their records when I tell them that the person doesn't live here and we don't know them.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gawd, can you imagine the person who has to come to work as the "telemarkerter"??!!?? Talk about dreading Mondays! LOL Then again, some of those people are in prison and as a form of rehabilitation/work training, they are the telemarkerters. Have you seen that new's special? I can't remember if it was Dateline or MSNBC Investigative Reports who did a story on this. So next time you get one of those "calls", why not ask...."Sooooooooo, how long are ya in for? What crime did do to deserve this? and keep asking questions. LOL But this could backfire! Here's a felon that has your phone number and most likely other info. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well, don't have cable, don't use long distance, bought a pay as you go cellphone in September that I'm still working on the original minutes and we're so close to a junction that we get blazing speed on the DSL. Yup. Still got a landline. In fact the only calls I get on the cell are all wrong-numbers. I don't even answer the darn thing when it goes off any more.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
My house is on the Do not call list and its helped 98.5% of the time. We where getting up to 12-20 calls a day (no exaggeration) it was really bad. But FUN! I asked a few people to marry me, some I told that my parents where dead. Another thing was I had this big long story I would tell them like taking 20 mins, pretty funny... I kinda miss messing with them:hihi:

But its nice not to have the phone ring as much.

But You have to hate the charities... These funny people who call asking for money, And when you say you aren't interested they ask why.:icon_lol: (Insert response here)

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I worked at a "charity" telemarketing thing (Illinois Fraternal Order of Police). Huge scam. They do "donate", but the upper levels take out a slice of the pie, donate it, and skim the rest off. Do not be fooled.

We actually liked it when people said funny things. It brightened up an otherwise tedious job. Also, we called during the day, when most people are at work. The ones who aren't tend to be well, "colorful" characters. I had a guy tell me I can have $14,000 if I helped him go down to the Louisiana bayou to recover a treasure chest. I also liked calling into Chicago's bad neighborhoods. They hear "police charity", get really defensive, and ask what they did wrong. Sometimes we called immigrant neighborhoods, who would often believe that "donating" was mandatory. Good times.

Also, the telemarketing game looks at one thing: dollars. You will quickly be let go if you take the time to disposition the customer as "remove from list". Normally, we were encouraged by the managers to simply say we would, and move on, acting as if nothing happened.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts