The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First The Item list

Motor from a Whisper Mini internal filter. (free it came with the 5g tank and it's been lying around for a while)
LOCK&LOCK containers 3pack for about $9
1/2 inch tubing $1.18
Aquarium sealant about $5
plastic endpiece of an old uptake tube
cheap bubble wand from walmart that was laying around with suction cups

Total cost - about $16

Tools
Power drill
Knife (boxcutter or razor)
Scissors
q-tips

1. Drill the holes for the Tubes.
I didn't have a 1/2in drill bit so I had to use the box cutter to make the hole big enough.
2. Cut a straight line from the uptake hole to the power cord hole, at the center of the line cut a line at a 90degree angle as to make a "T" This gives just barely enough room to push the plug through.
3. Push the plug through the container (not an easy task)
4. Cut the tube to desired lengths.
5. Place tubing into the holes.

6. Place the tubing down into the output of the motor. Seal with sealant.

At this point you should have better sealant than the stuff I used. Remember to put this on THICK the first time. It won't seal to itself.

7. Seal all of the tubing inside and out of the container. Seal all holes. Q-tips come in handy to get those hard to reach areas.

8. Let cure for two days.
9. cut the bubble wand to about 2"
10. drill holes in it as a "spraybar"
11. Check for any leaks in the canister by placing it in a sink and filling it and the sink and plug it in. slowly lift the canister out of the sink and check for leaks and if it's pumping.
12. Place the "spray bar" into the end of the output tube.
13. Place the uptake tube guard over the input.

*Optional - I covered Mine with electrical tape because I heard that darkness is good for the beneficial bacteria.

You can use just about any type of filter media in this. I used the old carbon from the UG filter that was in the tank. (for the beneficial bacteria) an AC sponge and a small bag of Purigen.

Viola! you have your own canister filter.

In use. (sorry the tank is kind of blah right now)

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Thanks for the great how-to. :)

Just make sure the seals on the top are good...or else it's possible to empty your entire tank with it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the output tube is connected directly to the motor. I creates a VERY small vacuum (more like a siphon) into the canister. The only seal that's truly detrimental in this design is the intake tube. If it leaks then you'll have to completely reseal it or you'll end up with an empty tank and a mess to clean up. :D

I understand what you mean though. If it where using internal pressure to force the water up the tube then that seal would have to be VERY good.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
sweet!
I'm gonna do this then try to make some cheapo lillies.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You can save some leak issues by not cutting the slit and cutting the wire instead. After you get the wire through, just line it back up together-- ridged/grooved wire to the ridged/grooved wire and labeled wire to the labeled wire.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yea, but alot of people(including me) don't trust our own electrical work, this is a easier way to get around that.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is a great DIY project. Take a bunch of standard hardware that could be laying around your pad and one box component to make something better than any of the separate individual components.

Cool.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yea, i knew you got it from there. i was turned off by the having to cut the cord, but then i saw yours.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, i knew you got it from there. i was turned off by the having to cut the cord, but then i saw yours.
Yeah I had the same problem so I just came up with this way. There are probably a zillion ways to do the same thing no matter what the project. The trick is finding out what works best for you in any situation.
I've heard of melting the plastic to the tubing to create a better seal. I've also heard of using other sealants over the aquarium sealant to make the first seal hold better. (ie window caulk, glue, tape, etc.)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
ALRIGHT!!
got some locnlocs!
BlueGG- did you use the medium sized canister?(~24 oz) or the huge one(61oz)?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
lol, yea, but i don't know if the smaller pump is big enough to power it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
well, for now, a 1g. but i may move it when i get my 2.5 goig, not sure. my pump is somewhere b/t 20-48gph, not sure.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I got bored and realized i had everything to build myne with, so i did.
it could use tweaking, but WTF, it's a diy job.
it has verry little flow the way the tubes are bent.

I put paper clips in the tubes to make wannabe lillies, obviously temporary.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just built one too, but I should warn everyone that Lock & Lock 1.8 liter rectangular containers weren't designed to hold a two-foot head of water. Mine leaked. I also discovered that silicone won't stick to the plastic worth a darn, so I just used latex bathroom caulk for the external side of the fittings. I'm getting about 25 GPH out of mine, and the net result is much, much nicer than the mediocre internal filter that came with the tank. The DIY makes more room for fish, and is more attractive to boot.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
mine leaked too, i think it could be tweaked with a little time.
Mine's lid leaked, silicon could help that.
the problem i am having is the pump sucks more water than the input brings in. it can be adjusted by restricting the outflow, and putting more work on the pump(IE:lowering the filter)

all in all, a very versitile design, maybe not worth the hassle for those who would rather buy one.
I like the sense of self success!!

BTW: does anyone know where you can get JUST the medium round container?
i have 3 tanks that could use one, but i ain't buying 3 3 packs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts