The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50 gal tank that is 48" by 13" by 18"

I have a Finnex Ray II and 2 Planted + all mounted about 18" above the lowest point of the substrate. The Ray II is in the center and the 2 Planted +'s are flanking it.

Does anyone have any idea as too how much light this is?
From the par charts I have found the RAY II should be giving me about 70 pay on the bottom directly below it but what does the addition of the 2 Planted +'s do? can I just add the par together?

I'm assuming that I am in the high light range I just don't know how high.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone else have an educated guess instead of going out and spending a couple hundred bucks on something i will rarely use?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Does anyone else have an educated guess instead of going out and spending a couple hundred bucks on something i will rarely use?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Look at hoppys posts in the diy section. U can adapt a cheap lux meter for less than 20 bucks. Very usable for our needs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,451 Posts

I have a Finnex Ray II and 2 Planted + all mounted about 18" above the lowest point of the substrate. The Ray II is in the center and the 2 Planted +'s are flanking it.

Let your tank tell you.. Not sure you can, in general achieve very high light w/ sub-1W LED's and no optics.. especaially in all areas of the tank.... but that doesn't mean it is not "effectively" high..

From the par charts I have found the RAY II should be giving me about 70 pay on the bottom directly below it but what does the addition of the 2 Planted +'s do? can I just add the par together?

IF the planted plus 's were angled so that they point to the same spot as the ray you could "roughly" add PAR at that spot...
When you get point source spreads at different locations addition becomes more in error..

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You have more than 150 PAR at the substrate, so that is very high light. The Finnex LED lights produce a pretty uniform PAR over a 12 inch or more wide beam at 18 inches, so you can just add the numbers for the 3 lights and be fairly close. The Planted+ produces about midway between the Fugeray and Ray2. So, you can safely assume you are getting 50 PAR from each Planted+ and 70+ from the Ray2. Add them up.

·
Registered
329 Posts

How long have you been running all three lights? Any algae problems? That sounds like outrageously high light to me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Hoppy that's more info than I was expecting. I really appreciate your input.

Sméagol it is quite a bit of light but only a little more than I am used too. definitely more than anyone needs but for some reason I like it. I have had a bit of an algae issue but that's just because I haven't had a lot of time to dial in the CO2 and ferts. Plus I didn't start are with a ton of plants like I had before. I promised my wife I would go slow this time around (let me tell you it is KILLING ME) The biggest issue is in an area where direct sunlight hits the tank for an hour or two in the morning. My wife has had a hard time remembering to close the blinds before she leaves for work but she is getting better about it. Once I get more plants in the tank and they fill in I'm not going to be worried about algae except for some GDA which surprisingly has not came up yet. I think I will make a big plant purchase within the next three weeks or so and I should be alright. If I continue to have problems or if it gets worse I'll make adjustments to the photo period and/or height of the lights. no biggie. Patience, testing and experimenting is what this hobby is all about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts