The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tall do you generally have your stands? How high of a tank platform would you be comforrable with?

Most tank stands seem to come in around 30", that seems low to me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Depends on your body height and dimensions of your tank I suppose.
Are you basketball player? :icon_eek:

30" is standard range for table. I wouldn't want it up too heigh that light
from the fixture becomes problem for my eyes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm gonna say too that it depends.

For the mini L I have set up right now, I built a relatively large custom stand to accommodate a 20lb CO2 tank and a sump, making it about 3' tall. That also puts it about eye level for me when sitting at my desk, which is nice.

When my 29g was up, I had it on a standard 30" stand, which was about perfect for the tank height and viewing from my bed and across a room, without the light being high enough to get in most anybody's eyes.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking a 48x15x18 tank at 48" above the ground. The stand platform would be 2' wide for added stability, and there would be a 30g sump.

I am exploring options right now, and one that I like on paper had this height, but I want to make sure its not too tall for stability.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ive seen 48x24x24 tanks 36" off the ground that looked nice, if you have the room consider something this size, additional depth and height are always nice.

I'm 5'10 with a 24" tall tank on a 28" tall stand. If it was an inch taller I would not be able to reach down into the tank to the bottom with out standing on something.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with the bigger is better mentality when it comes to tanks, but I'm concerned with weight on a tank that large. A 4' tank is pushing it for me for an apartment dweller, hence the desire to stack. The dimensions are for a tank that is readily available, not too large, and has more depth than standard 55.

I'm also 5'10", don't mind a step ladder as much as too much clutter!

Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
380 Posts
48" seems a bit high to me, speaking just aesthetics-wise, rather than stability. My vote if you want something still relatively tall would be to drop it to like 40". But, I mean, it is all personal taste.

Just for kicks, the left stand is 50" x 24" x 48" and the right is the same at 40", both with the tank dimensions you stated on top. To give an idea of relative size and all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.