The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay well i have seen some AMAZING tanks over the years but never though i could do it like you guys so here i am thinking about doing it... ive always like how people have these nice planted tanks with sand bottoms or ever rock bottom but have the other sub straight in a "path" looking kinda like its a river going though the tank.(you know what i mean?) or i dont even want to attempt this one, but i love it... so how people have like "hills" rolling though out the tank. i have loved this kind for a long time but i just cant seem to get my tanks to look like some of yours. if you could please send me some pictures of you tanks with set ups like you think i am talking about here it would be greatly appreciate; and id also like if you guys could kind of make on out like of how you do it from scratch... thanks to all who help me with ideas for a new tank i am in the proses of setting up

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Here is some advice that I wish someone told me before I got into the hobby.

Make sure you have a job. This hobby can be a total money sink. There are ways around it in that you can have a cheap and low maintenance tank but generally speaking it can be quite expensive, especially as your taste develops.

The other thing is that RESEARCH! Really read as many threads as possible about starting, keeping, and expanding your future fish tanks. That is because almost every question as a beginner can ask has already been asked. You can learn a lot from their mistakes. You will kill alot of plants or fish/shrimp if you don't research your new endeavor. So with this I say, Good Luck and READ!

·
Registered
218 Posts
dr. tran hit the nail on the head, I think. Be prepared for the hobby to be a money sink, and for it to be addictive. Lots of people here get MTS - multi-tank syndrome. It's hard to stop at just one. ;) Know your limits money-wise and time-wise before you start, and then brainstorm a tank setup that will fit your requirements. For example, a nano tank can be cheap but require a high time investment for pruning, ferts, etc. A large tank might take a lot of expensive equipment to set up, but will be lower effort because the larger the volume of water, the greater the room for error. Find the setup that best fits your lifestyle and level of experience, and then get planting. :)

Definitely research. Read lots of threads by other posters, see what they do, pay attention to what they use for substrate and filtration and lighting. You'll end up doing a lot of trial and error anyway, but researching will help you start off on a good foot.

A lot of what you're talking about - sand "paths" through the substrate, rolling hills - is accomplished in the first stage of tank set up, when you're just adding the substrate. You can make hills out of substrates like ADA Aquasoil and Eco-complete by simply pushing the soil around with your hands. Paths can be made by using pieces of heavy paper as a divider and adding soil on one side, sand on the other, and then gently pulling the paper out. Poke around this forum, I'm sure people have taken step-by-step photos of the process.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i have two tanks now and already want to set my 60G back up haha... i have a 29G i am making into a planted tank right now or im in the makes... thats the tank this thread is about... thanks to both of you for the great help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.