The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to redo the lights on my main 75g. I'm going to go simple DIY and use another set of LED strips. The last build worked well except for a couple of issues I'd like to address before the next build. I used 1x3 pine board to attach the LED strips to just like I used to hang my old AH T5 kit. The only problem I had was the waterproofing I used either wasn't applied correctly and/or not enough layers and I ended up with some pretty warped wood. None of them warped so much that they weren't still usable, but I'd like to avoid it on the next build.

I was wondering if I used cedar 1x and more/better coating if it would more resistant to the warping I've experienced before. I know the furniture grade cedar will be much more expensive, but I really don't need much of it, approximately 12' of board. I can get 1x3x8 kiln dried cedar for around $7 at the local big box store.

TLDR version: Is Cedar board more resistant to moisture-induced warping than pine?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think it is the coating more than the wood that determines how it holds up . I just use pine boards for my canopies and painted with 3 or 4 coats of standard exterior latex on the inside of both and paint on the outside of the 75 , but I stained the 30 with Min-Wax stain . Both are over 4 years old with no warping at all . Save the money and use pine with a good coating IMO .

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
It's time for me to redo the lights on my main 75g. I'm going to go simple DIY and use another set of LED strips. The last build worked well except for a couple of issues I'd like to address before the next build. I used 1x3 pine board to attach the LED strips to just like I used to hang my old AH T5 kit. The only problem I had was the waterproofing I used either wasn't applied correctly and/or not enough layers and I ended up with some pretty warped wood. None of them warped so much that they weren't still usable, but I'd like to avoid it on the next build.

I was wondering if I used cedar 1x and more/better coating if it would more resistant to the warping I've experienced before. I know the furniture grade cedar will be much more expensive, but I really don't need much of it, approximately 12' of board. I can get 1x3x8 kiln dried cedar for around $7 at the local big box store.

TLDR version: Is Cedar board more resistant to moisture-induced warping than pine?

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/stable-wood-against-warping-shrinking-99470.html

Could be your waterproofing was the reason. did you only do one side?..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cedar will be lighter and more rot resistant than pine, but no less prone to warping. Warping comes from internal stresses built up during the drying process. All solid wood will be prone to warping. It is the nature of the material.

You can limit that by being very selective when you buy the lumber and carefully choosing boards with the best grain orientation.

What are you using for waterproofing?

Also, do you have a picture of the design you are building? Maybe a picture of the one that warped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.