The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
to keep some dojo loaches in a planted tank? How impossible is it to have an aquascape with them burrowing, and uprooting?

I've been searching for these guys 2 years now, and can only ever find goldens (IMO, natural are beyond beautiful). If I have to go to a live fish market in Asia to buy me some Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, then so be it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Stunted to tanking sizes of mine topping out at about 8" in 75g tanks they aren't too bad. Keeping 3-4 they seem to ruff play with each other and ignore the substrate more.
They love to wedge themselves in thick plants like a huge clump of java fern.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You'd have to establish the plants first. Let the roots take hold etc... But personally I would go for the non substrate plants. Tie down the java ferns, anubias down on wood & rocks.

Keep in mind these guys are cold water fish and can grow relatively big.

I agree, the natural colors are nice.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of 3 loaches, which will get along peachy with my other large, coldwater common and shubunkin. It's kind of only a dream at this point in time to actually find them, but when I do, I want to know exactly what I'm getting into.

I will keep in mind non-substrate plants, MG, thanks!

How foolhardy is it to keep them in a dirt tank?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
starting out in my tanks years ago.

Current shots.

These guys are golds not commons obviously but the current group of 3 are all about 7"

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wkndracer, seems that your loaches won't like to burrow so much in a gravel tank: would that also be a dirt tank?

Thanks for your input Jason!

Anything else on dojos and dirt?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.