The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I'm debating having a long drive to get a deal but a full 20 lb co2 tank for $90, would you drive 30+ miles for that?
Used tanks aren't that expensive even when shipped..
5# $33.95..
https://bvrgelements.com/product/CO...lb-Cylinder/?gclid=CKSJrpf7i74CFYY7MgodAyoAwQ

GRANTED it's not a 20.. but do you really want a tank that big... ???

Reconditioned 7# $38 delivered..
IF you got room and if the tank is certified.. fine..
Brand new Aluminum 20# tank is............
CO2 - New - Aluminum - 20 lb Tank Best cylinder for refilling smaller tanks! Large capacity = lots of drinking.
SKU: CYL-20-AL-CO2-N
Quantity: Price : $110.95 $105.95

Plus shipping of course.......

Actually I'm going to say no...... not for me.

I checked w/ shipping for me......($16.07)

TOTAL: $122.02..

did I mention BRAND NEW and ALUMINUM... ;)

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
How much do you get fills for? Probably looking at 150 after filling..$60 savings..You are right about the size..Found a 5 lb filled for $55, much closer too so.
Filling a 71/2ib was $14..but from what I hear.. bigger the tank cheaper the fill..
I've seen some fill a 20 for close to that........

There is a Carbonic Service near me that will do 5# for $12. Their rates increase a bit more than usual for the bigger tanks though. If my memory serves me correctly, it was something like 10# for $18 and 20# for $25. Still a deal though.
fill prices are all over the board......

IF your cert was expired on the used tank, and that matters to you... That is $35....... again variable..

so using my thinking.. and JUST w/ the 20# $140 for a brand new filled light aluminum tank vs $90 used, possibly filled, possibly certed (and for how many years left on the cert) , and you have to drive 30 mi on a heavy traffic friday..

Yea 5# looks better...
............... ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Rare fish? Free? What would make you go that distance for fish?
LOL, no. I live in the middle of nowhere and there is only one LFS within 60 miles of me. So, a drive to a LFS that I have heard many great things about wasn't terribly far.

It was worth it, I had just completed a fishless cycle on my 55 gallon tank, so I had many fish that I cold buy. They had many fish that I have never seen before. I bought 20 fish, and all of them lived.

Where I live, it is either that or the internet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a great deal. I went with the 5 lb. It's going to be used for a 10 gallon tank so figured why get a 20 lb for such a small tank. At most I'll be pumping 1 bubble per second at about 15 psi. 5 should last a while.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.