The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up this 22 gallon two weeks ago. I got all tissue culture plants except for two, and of course, this morning I saw a (smallish) pond snail (maybe bladder snail) on the glass. I pulled him out, but this evening I just found 3 more tiny little babies. So, how screwed am I? Is there any chance that these things don’t take over the tank or is it already too late?
Anyways, here’s some pics of the scape. Feel free to throw in any comments, critiques (go easy on me), or questions about it. If you have any ideas to make it better let me know! The back does have a bunch of fast growing stem plants so hopefully the only “empty” space will be in the middle. But that’s intentional. And I need fish suggestions too!
Plant Bonsai Wood Botany Terrestrial plant

Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Wood Rectangle Wall Pet supply

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just set up this 22 gallon two weeks ago. I got all tissue culture plants except for two, and of course, this morning I saw a (smallish) pond snail (maybe bladder snail) on the glass. I pulled him out, but this evening I just found 3 more tiny little babies. So, how screwed am I? Is there any chance that these things don’t take over the tank or is it already too late?
Anyways, here’s some pics of the scape. Feel free to throw in any comments, critiques (go easy on me), or questions about it. If you have any ideas to make it better let me know! The back does have a bunch of fast growing stem plants so hopefully the only “empty” space will be in the middle. But that’s intentional. And I need fish suggestions too!
View attachment 1046643
View attachment 1046641
View attachment 1046642
Nice looking tank! The snails will do no harm and I love em, clean up glass and plants and eat Left over food. I don’t think they’re anything to panic over. They don’t harm plants, and make your life easier.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Snails as discussed many times here, will only multiple out of control if the organic content is too high which is mostly food, dying plants, fish waste. So if they do get out of control you need to decrease feeding and step up maintenance so they are a good indicator critter in that regard.

With the aquascape, I would remove the big rock in the middle and the branch on the right. Right now the rock in the middle interferes with those wood branches and the wood on the right is too tall as it takes away from the main focal area on the left.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback! Yeah nothing to really worry over with the snails, just mildly annoyed i guess. Oh well, there are worse things.
Scape wise, i knew i was breaking a few rules with the golden ratio, but i thought i would try to go for some tension. my first scape i did years ago was cool but i always felt it didn't fill in the upper space properly, so getting the hardscape high in the tank was a goal for this one. I did go back and forth on the big rock, but ultimately i decide it was too cool to not use. i played around a little but i actually couldn't find a better spot for it. Curious to hear what others think?

·
Administrator
17,883 Posts
Scape wise, i knew i was breaking a few rules with the golden ratio, but i thought i would try to go for some tension.
The only way to know if something works in a scape is to try it out. If we weren't pushing our own boundaries all the time, we'd never grow when it comes to tanking. I mean, what's the worst case scenario? We either remove something or start over.

I think you made the right decision to try it out.

I did go back and forth on the big rock, but ultimately i decide it was too cool to not use. i played around a little but i actually couldn't find a better spot for it. Curious to hear what others think?
If it were my tank, I'd probably remove it or find a way for it to be less centered in the tank by repositioning or placing it on its side. That doesn't mean it looks bad in the current scape at all. It's a nice piece of hardscape and will likely look a lot different once plants begin to grow in and the tank matures. But reality? Nothing's stopping you from moving it later on down the road if you end up disliking it. Looks like it should be easy enough to do without a lot of work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way to know if something works in a scape is to try it out. If we weren't pushing our own boundaries all the time, we'd never grow when it comes to tanking. I mean, what's the worst case scenario? We either remove something or start over.

I think you made the right decision to try it out.

If it were my tank, I'd probably remove it or find a way for it to be less centered in the tank by repositioning or placing it on its side. That doesn't mean it looks bad in the current scape at all. It's a nice piece of hardscape and will likely look a lot different once plants begin to grow in and the tank matures. But reality? Nothing's stopping you from moving it later on down the road if you end up disliking it. Looks like it should be easy enough to do without a lot of work.
Solid advice, thank you my friend!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Echoing what others have said here about snails. As to the scape, you’ve already leapt past one of the biggest errors, which is ignoring the need for height. I think a branch on the right is fine, but it should be smaller/lower than the one on the left so you create major and minor focal points. I also agree about the center left rock. It interferes with the overall visual flow.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The difference is night and day for me. But as mentioned the branch on the right being so high takes away from the focal area on the left.

Disclaimer: You asked for options so I gave mine. There are certain principals that do work and make it more pleasing to look at, but at the end of the day, it's your scape and you should do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tank looks great. I dont agree with some of the other comments...Snails are not compulsory in planted tanks. I have a 75, 20L, and a 10 all completely planted with not a single snail for 5 years now.

The #1 way to avoid snails = quarantine well, and propagate vs buying more plants.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Tank looks great. I dont agree with some of the other comments...Snails are not compulsory in planted tanks. I have a 75, 20L, and a 10 all completely planted with not a single snail for 5 years now.

The #1 way to avoid snails = quarantine well, and propagate vs buying more plants.
There's really no need to quarantine for snails, as some snails are good for the overall system. If your overrun by snails it's a solid indicator that the correct maintenance and/or feeding is not being done correctly so they are beneficial in that way as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toro,
1st off, you set up a beautiful tank. When your plants settle in a few weeks from now, your aquascape will really look great. Give it time, and when it takes of, it will really take off. I have found that two bright light cycles throughout the day (with a dim siesta mid-day) gives me good growth without algae. I originally had the lights set for mid-high all day and had constant Black Beard Algae on my plant leaves, but after switching to the two shorter (but more intense) lighting cycles I am algae free now. Fingers crossed.
Snails- A few snails are good. They eat left-overs and algae. If they start breeding like rabbits then you have too much food/poop in your tank. The same is true with shrimp, which I've had thousands of (just as hard to get rid of when their #'s explode). The more food, the more pests. Cut down on the food and they stop breeding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Toro,
1st off, you set up a beautiful tank. When your plants settle in a few weeks from now, your aquascape will really look great. Give it time, and when it takes of, it will really take off. I have found that two bright light cycles throughout the day (with a dim siesta mid-day) gives me good growth without algae. I originally had the lights set for mid-high all day and had constant Black Beard Algae on my plant leaves, but after switching to the two shorter (but more intense) lighting cycles I am algae free now. Fingers crossed.
Snails- A few snails are good. They eat left-overs and algae. If they start breeding like rabbits then you have too much food/poop in your tank. The same is true with shrimp, which I've had thousands of (just as hard to get rid of when their #'s explode). The more food, the more pests. Cut down on the food and they stop breeding.
Toro,
thanks! I appreciate your tips, I am just starting to get my first new tank algae so I will keep that light cycle in mind. I’m also right near the end of the cycle, and my nitrites and nitrates are pretty high at the moment, so I actually haven’t seen any snails in almost a week. I’m wondering if they didn’t survive the cycle. I am going to add nerite snails regardless. I do actually want snails but I kind of like the idea of having control over the number of snails in the tank haha.

·
Administrator
17,883 Posts
Beautiful tank! The snails probably won't hurt anything, but if they get out of control, assassin snails can help
It's a lot easier to limit food source(s) for snails to control population growth than it is to add another creature, as that can lead to exacerbating other problems in a tank. Other problems being an abundance of food sources, decaying organic matter and the like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts