The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i made my own light for my 29 gallon tank i have two bulbs it in... what i was wondering is what is the difference between a bulb that puts out 60 watts BUT only draws 12 watts and a normal 60 watt bulb what is your input on this? i cant find any other post like this...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
A 12 watt bulb that puts out 60 watts equivalent will be a compact fluorescent bulb. Low heat, higher initial cost but longer life. For a DIY light over a 29 gallon tank try two 23 watt daylight spiral CFLs. (100 watt equivalent)

A 60 watt incandescent bulb will put out a lot of heat with the light and not in the spectrum you usually want for plant growth.

There might not be any current posts on lighting types, but there is a LOT in the archives. Use the search feature here or use Google and get referred here a lot. ;-)

Try specific set of search terms such as - best light - variations on the spelling of flourescent - T5HO - CFL plants - cfl aquarium - t5ho t5no - that type of thing. Try searching the archives for good advice. Some of the best posts - most detail and follow ups - are from people who don't really want to have to type it all in again.

Google can search specific sites for words, phrases, etc by adding site:plantedtank.net to your search string.

When you start learning more, and you have facts to share, you'll find you can start offering help to people with less experience than you will have.

Also, please check out the Michigan Aquatic Plant Group at http://www.miapg.com.
There is some duplication, but also Michigan specific advice.
We're starting to try to figure out where to have our Winter meeting/swap/raffle/demos.

·
Registered
593 Posts
well i made my own light for my 29 gallon tank i have two bulbs it in... what i was wondering is what is the difference between a bulb that puts out 60 watts BUT only draws 12 watts and a normal 60 watt bulb what is your input on this? i cant find any other post like this...
The confusion is probably coming from how the bulb manufacturers phrase things (incorrectly). A bulb doesn't put out 60 watts of light ... light is not measured in watts, that's a measurement for electricity. However, because the general public doesn't want to learn more about light, they just want to have the same amount of light that say a 60 watts incandescent bulb puts out, the manufacturers state that it puts out the equivalent light of a 60 watt bulb and people start to assume it puts out 60 watts of light ... and the confusion starts.

To measure light you need to use lumen or lux (and I think there might be one or two other measurements ... can't remember of the top of my head). So if you measure the lumen output of your 12 watt bulb, it should equal the lumen output of a 60 watt incandescent bulb. In other words they are both as bright (to your eyes, not necessarily to the plants, but that's a different topic altogether), however, obviously the 12 watt bulb used about 1/5 the electricity so it's way more efficient. As already mentioned, it's probably a compact fluorescent bulb.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit.

Harry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.