The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Fluval Spec 3 gallon nano for my office desk. Really never EI dosed a nano before, but judging off of my past dosing this is what I have in mind. My water is liquid rock so I think I can pass on MgSO4. I'm running a paintball CO2.

Day 1:
1/16 tsp KNO3
1/32 tsp KH2PO4

Day 2:
1/32 tsp CSM+B

Day 3:
1/16 tsp KNO3
1/32 tsp KH2PO4

Day 4:
1/32 tsp CSM+B

Day 5:
1/16 tsp KNO3
1/32 tsp KH2PO4

Day 6: Rest

Day 7: Rest

Weekly 50% water changes.

Does that look about right to everyone? I'd appreciate some expert advice.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Those doses are too high. Here is what the result would be for 3 gallons (this doesn't even account for substrate and hardscape)...

1/16 tsp. raises NO3 17.55ppm (should be 7.5ppm)
1/32 tsp. raises PO4 10.75ppm (should be 1.3ppm)
1/32 tsp. raises Fe 0.77 (should be 0.5)

For such a small tank you should be using liquid. You simply can't measure such small amounts of dry fertilizers accurately.

Add the amount below to 500 ml of water. Each dose would be 10ml

KNO3 6.944 g (1-1/3 tsp.)
Plantex 4.348 g (1-1/8 tsp.)
KH2PO4 1.058 g (if you have a scale. Otherwise, see below)

If you don't have a scale you can mix 2 liters of the KH2PO4 solution. Then discard all but 500ml. Trying to measure the dry fertilizer amount for 500 ml will be a problem.

KH2PO4 3/4 tsp. in 2,000 ml (4.231 g)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Those doses are too high. Here is what the result would be for 3 gallons (this doesn't even account for substrate and hardscape)...

1/16 tsp. raises NO3 17.55ppm (should be 7.5ppm)
1/32 tsp. raises PO4 10.75ppm (should be 1.3ppm)
1/32 tsp. raises Fe 0.77 (should be 0.5)

For such a small tank you should be using liquid. You simply can't measure such small amounts of dry fertilizers accurately.

Add the amount below to 500 ml of water. Each dose would be 10ml

KNO3 6.944 g (1-1/3 tsp.)
Plantex 4.348 g (1-1/8 tsp.)
KH2PO4 1.058 g (if you have a scale. Otherwise, see below)

If you don't have a scale you can mix 2 liters of the KH2PO4 solution. Then discard all but 500ml. Trying to measure the dry fertilizer amount for 500 ml will be a problem.

KH2PO4 3/4 tsp. in 2,000 ml (4.231 g)
I appreciate that information! I've never used solutions before. Do they need to be kept refrigerated? That isn't an option for me. Also, pardon my ignorance, but if it was 3/4 tsp in 2,000 ml in KH2PO4... wouldn't that just be 3/8 tsp in 1,000 ml and then 3/16 tsp in 500 ml? I have a 1/16 tsp measuring device so wouldn't three scoops of that in 500 ml be sufficient?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I appreciate that information! I've never used solutions before. Do they need to be kept refrigerated? That isn't an option for me. Also, pardon my ignorance, but if it was 3/4 tsp in 2,000 ml in KH2PO4... wouldn't that just be 3/8 tsp in 1,000 ml and then 3/16 tsp in 500 ml? I have a 1/16 tsp measuring device so wouldn't three scoops of that in 500 ml be sufficient?
No they don't need to be refrigerated. However, the Plantex can develop mold. Adding some excel or even vinegar can eliminate this problem. Even with mold the fertilizer is fine to use.

Measuring such small amounts can lead to large errors based on the particle size. If you have smaller measures you can use those. But as mentioned the particle size can vary from one fertilizer to the next. That's one reason weighing them is more accurate for such small amounts. So using larger measures reduces the margin for error. Still, two 3/8 tsp. does equal 3/4.

All that said, EI is not an exact science anyway. So a little more or less won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No they don't need to be refrigerated. However, the Plantex can develop mold. Adding some excel or even vinegar can eliminate this problem. Even with mold the fertilizer is fine to use.

Measuring such small amounts can lead to large errors based on the particle size. If you have smaller measures you can use those. But as mentioned the particle size can vary from one fertilizer to the next. That's one reason weighing them is more accurate for such small amounts. So using larger measures reduces the margin for error. Still, two 3/8 tsp. does equal 3/4.

All that said, EI is not an exact science anyway. So a little more or less won't hurt anything.
Thanks very much for the information. I'm sure it gets old for you, but I greatly appreciate your help. I'll probably just purchase a small scale so I know I'm doing things correctly. Where did you get your EI information for me?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts