The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice everyone always supports the 6500 daylight bulbs. Is that just a matter of taste in color? Or does the 6500 have a particular affect on plant growth? Just wondering b/c I have a somewhat yellow CFL bulb running right now, and I'm wondering if the plants will potentially suffer w/o the 6500 daylight aspect. Sorry for the noob question, thanks for any clarification! :):)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
For anything from 5,000-7,500K, it's mostly just taste in color. Some would consider up to 10,000K acceptable too.

Warm white bulbs are about 2,700K. They are the ones that try to emulate the classic yellow look of incandescent bulbs. While I'm sure you can have some success with them, they're not a good choice; as they're seriously lacking in blue light which plants need.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For anything from 5,000-7,500K, it's mostly just taste in color. Some would consider up to 10,000K acceptable too.

Warm white bulbs are about 2,700K. They are the ones that try to emulate the classic yellow look of incandescent bulbs. While I'm sure you can have some success with them, they're not a good choice; as they're seriously lacking in blue light which plants need.
Ahh interesting, I figured there was some drawback. Well I ordered a replacement 6500 daylight bulb. Unfortunate as I was starting to grow fond of the yellow light.. I'll give it another week to see how the plants react, but I'll probably be switching back to the daylight bulb. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Hello Drew...

Without getting technical, the reason for the 6500 K bulb is because the light blue hue or color best mimics natural daylight at 5500 K. If you want to grow most of the tropical plants on the market, all you need to do is provide 1 to 2 watts of light per gallon of tank volume. I have even less than 1 watt per gallon and with the help of hydroponics ferts, I grow at least a dozen different plants.

Lighting is the most important, but the right fert is a close second.

B

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Drew...

Without getting technical, the reason for the 6500 K bulb is because the light blue hue or color best mimics natural daylight at 5500 K. If you want to grow most of the tropical plants on the market, all you need to do is provide 1 to 2 watts of light per gallon of tank volume. I have even less than 1 watt per gallon and with the help of hydroponics ferts, I grow at least a dozen different plants.

Lighting is the most important, but the right fert is a close second.

B
Yeah I figured this to be true. Waiting very patiently(or not so patiently) for my rootmedic purchase to arrive!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When you see anything you are seeing reflected light (obviously light sources being looked at are a different thing). If what you are looking at is red, and there is no red in the light you are viewing it in, it will not look red. The red you see has to come from the light you are using. So, if you have red plants or fish, they will look the reddest when your light produces considerable red in its spectrum. The same is true for blue in fish, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.