The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just wondering how do you guys trim your ludwigia? I usually just cut the tops but then it grows 2 different ones and in the end it doesn't look nice, so the last time I trimmed I yanked the whole plant out and replanted the tops which I like better but I don't want to do it every time so I guess I will replant it when it starts not looking as nice.

Also I getting really frustrated with my water spryte roots.... They grow out of substrate and really bugging me does anyone know why or is it just the way it is :) I try to cut the ones that get too big but maybe there is something else I can do?

My Cryptocoryne wendtii is not doing well, it was growing fine and even spreading, still does, but I noticed that the leaves are small and don't get big as some older ones, I thought it was due to my sword ( I think its the sword, not sure which one) The sword took over and crypt was overgrown by it so I replant it when I did a small rescape so it would get a little more space. And since I replanted it the only big leaves I had which were not many maybe only 2 or 3 melted off which I know happens with Crypts. But now I have a bunch of small leaves left, so what causing it to grow like that?

I don't really dose any ferts except some Seachem flourish couple of times a week but don't have any schedule going, I do it when I remember. I want to do EI dosing but I thought I should wait since I have DIY CO2 and from what I read (please correctly if I am wrong) it does better with pressurized CO2. Any suggestions on what should I start adding to my tank before I do EI? Should I do EI if I have DIY CO2?

Probably should mention I have mineralized soil and the tank been running since April so I think it's time to start thinking about ferts. I'm currently doing some reading on EI, I got greg watsons guide to dosing. Untill I figure out the whole EI method and be able to order some ferts can anyone suggest what ferts should I get for now.

Last question: When you vacuum the gravel what do you do if you can't reach to places where there is a lot of growth? Should I worry about those places or all the waste becomes plant food?

Sorry it's a bit long. Thanks for all the help :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
I trim my ludwigia by cutting it down low enough that the cut stem wont be noticed. Ludwigia grows fast enough that it will be back to its original height in no time.

I have had the same problem with roots growing out of the substrate with several plants. I am thinking that maybe the substrate isn't as nutrient rich as the water(since I use EI dosing with no root tabs) so maybe the roots seek out the nutrients in the water. But I replanted my amazon sword which was the biggest offender and it is now keeping all of its roots below ground.

I am no expert on EI dosing and DIY CO2 but I have heard some people do EI with reduced amounts.

And I gravel vac the open areas and leave the heavily planted areas to accumulate whatever since it will break down and feed the plants.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I trim my ludwigia by cutting it down low enough that the cut stem wont be noticed. Ludwigia grows fast enough that it will be back to its original height in no time.
That's what I do for the most part but then there is all the aerial roots and it just looks messy to me. I only have a 10g so it takes over the tank pretty quickly, so I do replant them every couple of months.

I have had the same problem with roots growing out of the substrate with several plants. I am thinking that maybe the substrate isn't as nutrient rich as the water(since I use EI dosing with no root tabs) so maybe the roots seek out the nutrients in the water. But I replanted my amazon sword which was the biggest offender and it is now keeping all of its roots below ground.
I only notice my water spryte do that, but my other plants doing good I only get lots of runners from my sword I actually ok with them to be seen that way I can direct them to were I want them to grow. And my substrate is mineralised soil topped with color quartz, I would think it should be good enough for my plants. Maybe some root tabs are in order.

I am no expert on EI dosing and DIY CO2 but I have heard some people do EI with reduced amounts.
I will have to start doing it soon but first I want to finishe my reading on dosing. Need to print out that book I can read for too long on the computer.

And I gravel vac the open areas and leave the heavily planted areas to accumulate whatever since it will break down and feed the plants.
That's what I though it's just sometimes it gets so messy in thise spots that I want do clean it. :icon_conf

Thanks for your reply. :icon_mrgr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts