The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can probably combine alot of questions into this one by listening to what you do to set one of these up from scratch.

I'd appreciate all the experience you have that you can share with me here. If you do it differently for easy shrimp as opposed to difficult shrimp, I'd like to know that as well. Water parameters and products to adjust (KH and GH in particular) if you use them. Use of under substrate products you use as well (if any).

For myself, I will be using a 5.5 gallon aquarium to start with Tiger Shrimp. I'll do more difficult shrimp later once I gain more experience. RO / DI water isn't an option. Will be using water straight out of the tap that starts at PH 7.6, KH 2 ppm (.11 dK) and GH 30 ppm (1.68 dH).

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Can I ask why RO isnt an option? There is probably a grocery store near you that has those RO water machines out from. The reason we all use RO is so we dont have to add a bunch of chemicals just to get the GH/KH/TDS/etc within the range we are looking for.

we all want to see you have success but if you dont start with the fundamentals of water than you are just going to have a harder time.

Tiger shrimp seem to be the best option based on your water choice.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
if your going common tigers then inert substrate is fine. tap will be fine for tigers just run an air stone in it for a day or so and see what the ph does. as water degases it will change in ph. some times it goes up most of the time the ph will go down. a ph of 7.6 is a bit high for tiger shrimp. also keep a good watch on the temp. tigers are prone to bacterial infection and anything over a temp of 72 is asking for probs. i personally like sand in shrimp tanks. baby shrimp tend to hid in the cracks with gravel so it is kinda hard to tell how many you really have. get a good liquid test kit if you dont already have one. i like sponge filters in my shrimp tanks because i dont have to worry about them getting chopped up inside the hob. there are ways around that though like sponge or stainless steel prefilter for the intake. when measuring gh and kh can you list how many drops it takes to change color? most go that way and im not sure how to adjust the degrees. mine did great in a ph of about 7.3 gh 7 kh 2 (drops to change color) common tiger shrimp are pretty hardy but temp is the main thing people run into.

basic parameters for tiger shrimp

PH: 7.0-7.4
GH:6-10
KH:4-8
TDS:100-180

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I ask why RO isnt an option? There is probably a grocery store near you that has those RO water machines out from. The reason we all use RO is so we dont have to add a bunch of chemicals just to get the GH/KH/TDS/etc within the range we are looking for.

we all want to see you have success but if you dont start with the fundamentals of water than you are just going to have a harder time.

Tiger shrimp seem to be the best option based on your water choice.
I get what you are saying and I am not being argumentative. I understand RO / DI is better; however, it is cost prohibitive. I don't have the resources to purchase gallons of water every time I set up a new tank or change out water in an existing tank. Don't have the resources to get an RO system either.

Sorry about the limitations here, but it's what I have to work with. And though not the prefered method, I adjust my water in my other tanks using Seachems Acid and Alkaline buffers together to get the KH and PH values I want (after testing first).

If that's wrong, or if there is a better, I am all ears.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
you probably spend as much on these powders as you would filling a 5G jug a couple times a month for water. I did it this way for years, but finally invested in a RO unit because it made more sense as the number of tanks when up and up and up.

if you are worried about cost of water how are you going to afford the shrimp, new tanks, lights, etc etc etc. ?

again we want to see you have success. wicca posted some informative information to help you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
even If you go the grocery store route it wont be expensive. I have a 5.5 for pfr. I usually change 1 gallon a week. that one gallon isn't even 1 dollar. also have some ss GH/kh. it was like 40 bucks but will last a very very long time for such a small tank. whatever direction you go I wish you luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
R/o units aren't that expensive. You could post a WTB for a full r/o setup and may get one fairly cheap. I have an extra r/o unit just sitting in a box since my new home already came with one installed. I would let it go for 30.00 and I'm sure others have stuff laying around too. Even local craigslist have them for as low as 20$ with depleted filters.

I change out 15 gallons a week and the cost for 5 gallons of R/O is 1-1.25 where I live. Cost isn't that high, but high enough for me to have an R/o unit. Plus I drink R/O water. Doing it right in the beginning will save you money in the long run.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
you probably spend as much on these powders as you would filling a 5G jug a couple times a month for water. I did it this way for years, but finally invested in a RO unit because it made more sense as the number of tanks when up and up and up.

if you are worried about cost of water how are you going to afford the shrimp, new tanks, lights, etc etc etc. ?

again we want to see you have success. wicca posted some informative information to help you.
It is said well here, as in the long run doing it in the best way you can will cost you more. As in learning and getting it wrong and having to buy new shrimp and products because of a die off is stuff we already went through. So people starting out can learn from our mistake. Do it right the first time it will save you money. 5 gallon jug of ro at a store is 1.25$. So bring one with you every time you go to the store

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
what are the parameters of your tap water with out adding anything and what are they after you let it sit 24 hours with an air stone? that is the first thing to find out. if you are lucky like me you wont need ro and your tap is pretty spot on for common tiger shrimp. but you have to know what your water is before you go adding things to know what you need to do

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
lol... Ok, Ok. I get it. I didn't know R/O water was so cheap. Thought you had to buy it off the shelf by the gallon. And my tanks are already stacking up so this does make sense.

I'll be getting an R/O unit next month then :)

So... what's next? What do you use to then set the PH / KH / GH of the water for the parameters your shrimp need?

Appreciate very much the direct approach you are all taking with me here. It's refreshing lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what are the parameters of your tap water with out adding anything and what are they after you let it sit 24 hours with an air stone? that is the first thing to find out. if you are lucky like me you wont need ro and your tap is pretty spot on for common tiger shrimp. but you have to know what your water is before you go adding things to know what you need to do
At start, the PH is at 7.6, the KH is at 20 ppm, and the GH is at 30 ppm. Did this once before awhile back and it remained the same. I am doing it again now just to be certain.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
check again after 24-48 hours its a good way to know what you are working with. i have had a lot of yacking because of not using ro in the past as well. some need it some done. main reason for it is to start with pure water to get what you want. some times its better some times tap works. either way i wish you luck. ive had luck with tap for the most part but some shrimp i wont chance it with.

·
Registered
304 Posts
At start, the PH is at 7.6, the KH is at 20 ppm, and the GH is at 30 ppm. Did this once before awhile back and it remained the same. I am doing it again now just to be certain.
If I had your tap water, I think I would skip R/O. Whats the TDS of your tap water?

1.12 dKH and 1.68 dGH is pretty damn good. I wish I had that where I live.

My tap: unusable
8PH, 16dGH, 10dKH, 400TDS

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I had your tap water, I think I would skip R/O. Whats the TDS of your tap water?

1.12 dKH and 1.68 dGH is pretty damn good. I wish I had that where I live.

My tap: unusable
8PH, 16dGH, 10dKH, 400TDS
Not sure about the TDS. Don't have a way of measuring it just yet. Will get a meter next month.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
tap water should be checked just about all the time. you never know what your city/town is doing to your tap water.

since you have a lot of tanks or plan to best to get a big container to keep your tap water in that way you can adjust/monitor/etc it before you add to any tanks.

there are ways around using RO but will take some effort, but its a lot easier to make mistakes that can take down your tank also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tap water should be checked just about all the time. you never know what your city/town is doing to your tap water.

since you have a lot of tanks or plan to best to get a big container to keep your tap water in that way you can adjust/monitor/etc it before you add to any tanks.

there are ways around using RO but will take some effort, but its a lot easier to make mistakes that can take down your tank also.
Good idea on the tap holder. So obvious it is brilliant.

What I do now is use 1/16th tsp acid buffer to drop the KH down to near 0 and the PH follows, dropping to between 5.5 and 6. I then use the Seachem buffers together at a fixed ratio to walk back to the PH / KH range I want. As for the GH, I use Seachem Equilibrium to raise it as needed based on the needs of the tank.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
see you have a standard method based on previous experience. this is why i have an issue with people using tap water. while its probably close to generally the same parameters coming out the faucet, it could also be totally different. having a standard amount you add could be deadly that one time the water is different and it only takes 1 time to kill everything.

does that make sense?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
see you have a standard method based on previous experience. this is why i have an issue with people using tap water. while its probably close to generally the same parameters coming out the faucet, it could also be totally different. having a standard amount you add could be deadly that one time the water is different and it only takes 1 time to kill everything.

does that make sense?
Yes. That makes alot of sense. It is obviously far better to have the same exact start point every time water is needed.

I do, though, check everything each time I add something to the replacement water (including the base line out of the faucet). I never make the adjustments in the aquarium itself. I never put anything into the aquarium that doesn't match what's already there (meaning my original start point).

And by fixed ratio, I don't mean the same exact amount into each bucket every time. I mean a fixed ratio of acid to alkaline buffer added to the water. The total amount of each can vary, but the end result is always the same PH / KH values I want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use crappy city water with a conditioner I have hard water but ph is always 7.5. No other additives but I do have Ph Up JIC. My ghost shrimp are healthy, happy and active. I have heard that Tiger Shrimp are about as hardy as ghosts. Although the temp issue would be different. I'm at 76 to 78 and it doesn't seem to bother them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts