The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I bought some of this from an aquarium store I visited when I went to California and brought it back with me to Oregon. I talked with the owner for some time and he said they can flower below or above the surface. He had a great deal of this stuff and a lot of it was flowering below the surface, but they were also just tied down in bunches so who knows if they flowered like that there or if that was from where he got them?

Also told me that regular cabomba does the same thing too.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Cabomba Flower

Hello Drew...

What little I've read about Cabomba Furcata is that CO2 is a must and needs to be planted in some of that "high end" substrate, the kind that contains all the micro and macro nutrients. In general, this is a special needs plant. Wish I could grow it. I understand it's a very good oxygen producer.

The pics I've seen of it are beautiful, even without it flowering.

B

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Drew...

What little I've read about Cabomba Furcata is that CO2 is a must and needs to be planted in some of that "high end" substrate, the kind that contains all the micro and macro nutrients. In general, this is a special needs plant. Wish I could grow it. I understand it's a very good oxygen producer.

The pics I've seen of it are beautiful, even without it flowering.

B
Thanks everyone. Definitely a fan of my furcata right now. Fingers crossed it flowers!

·
Registered
952 Posts
+1 on the CO2 but also the more the light the better. This plant wont look pretty for you under low light. At my LFS the plants all come from a wholesaler who grows things emersed so most of them come in with flowers, including the cabomba furcata. They only last about a week. There is no CO2 injection in the tank it stays in but has high light.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 on the CO2 but also the more the light the better. This plant wont look pretty for you under low light. At my LFS the plants all come from a wholesaler who grows things emersed so most of them come in with flowers, including the cabomba furcata. They only last about a week. There is no CO2 injection in the tank it stays in but has high light.
I'm running 2x 15 watt 6500 Daylight CFLs over a 10 gallon. The plants seem to be doing well, and what's strange is there isn't a bit of algae. Tank running for about 6 weeks. I was thinking about changing for 20 watt bulbs, but I don't want to disrupt this fairly harmonious balance and invite algae..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.