The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'll want to put shrimp in my upcoming aquarium, but I've had experiences with them before when they get sucked into the filter, eaten by fish, etc. They never seem to live, and I want to know how to make my new aquarium safe for them so I can have some good cleaners on top of otos. It's a 40 gallon long tank, so how many would I need? And what fish can I keep with them?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Depends on your species of Shrimp.
Amanos get a lot bigger than Cherries.

I put a foam cover on my HOB intake, no Shrimp in filter.

Fish ?
+1 Otos

I'm trying
Threadfin Rainbows
They have tiny, tiny mouths and throats.

For now, while their tank is cycling I also have CPDs in my Shrimp tank.
They seem fine so far, but they'll be moved.

I also have 1 Dario Dario in there very temporarily as he WILL eat Shrimplets. Just waiting for his tank to cycle and I have other tiny lifeforms and crushed flake and frozen baby Brine for him to eat to hold off him eating my shrimp. :)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Otos and many plecos are basically the only shrimp safe fish. If it fits, it will eat it. if it doesn't it will try. And usually succeed.

If you want to keep shrimp and don't want to start with HUGE numbers and super heavy planting, no fish is the key.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I can say that most Tetras similar to the Neon Tetras would be fine. Definitely, not other more aggressive Tetras. If you have big and more aggressive fish in the tank, most likely the shrimps won't survive. I think Amano shrimps would be safe if they are near or bigger than 1 inches. Obviously, I won't even bother to try to breed them in a community tank.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Like the first responder said, this has a lot to do with the type of shrimp you get and, perhaps more importantly, the type of fish you're going to keep with them.

As far as the type of shrimp is concerned...

Your best chance at keeping shrimp are Amanos. They the most hardy popular shrimp in the business and due to their size and behavior, they can hold their own against most of the fish people consider for planted community tanks. (obviously if you've got something like a cichlid/oscar tank, no shrimp will be safe). Amanos are also the least likely to die in the filter (imo) and are the best shrimp for consuming algae. In addition you won't have to worry about babies beings consumed. Amanos do not reproduce fully in FW. You will have to replenish their numbers as they die off naturally, but I believe their lifespan ranges up to 2 years. Amanos are most likely to wander around the tank to all areas in search of food. They usually are not bothered.

If you're trying to keep smaller shrimp such as RCS, then your best bet is to stock a large enough population of adult shrimp (the largest and thus least likely to get eaten) - perhaps up to 40 in your 40G and then to provide a lot of cover for them - good plants include mosses and Subwassertang where shrimp can go "insdie" the plant for cover. If your shrimp breed, more young are likely to survive to adulthood and if they don't breed, you'll just have to replenish numbers as they die off naturally as with the Amanos. These smaller shrimp, unless completely comfortable, are not as likely to traverse the entire tank for food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.