The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,i was wondering..when you guys do a water change in your aquarium,how do you guys wash your small gravels or sand..or just leave it there? because i have a tank with sand in it and i need to do a water change and dont know what to do about the sand..please reply fast

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
I don't gravel vacuum when I do my water changes; I simply hover over the substrate and let any excess debris/mulm that has accumulated get sucked up.

I think most people that keep planted tanks do not gravel vacuum as it disturbs plants.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh...so you just suck up the stuff above the gravel?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Check out the Eheim sludge extractor and its reviews. Cleaning via siphoning never worked for me. I got an Eheim cleaner last week and it is brilliant. The best part is you don't need to change water to clean sand/gravel.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
oh...so you just suck up the stuff above the gravel?
Pretty much.

Check out the Eheim sludge extractor and its reviews. Cleaning via siphoning never worked for me. I got an Eheim cleaner last week and it is brilliant. The best part is you don't need to change water to clean sand/gravel.
I used it for some time, and it was OK. However, I can't justify the price tag! :icon_eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I vacuum that gravel in my tank, only because it always looks so damn dirty. I have been trying to add more plants to use up the fish waste, but I still need to vacuum at least once a week. Its a real pain though with a bunch of rocks, wood, and plants.
Any suggestions for tallish big plants that will take up some space in the back and use up alot of waste?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.