The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Waiting for it to pass is the easiest way.
:smile: agreed. Just like my bba and stringy algae that magically disappeared over night. With Siamese algae eaters, otos and Red cherry shrimp I don't know what is doing the most job now a days in my tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I started up my tank in January and I still have those damn things. At least now they appear slow enough that I only have to clean them during the weekly water change.

I tried Amanos and a Nerite. The Betta scared off the Amano's and they jumped tank. The Nerite is making inroads but doesn't consume them off plants (frustrating). I heard that old nerites aren't super cleaners and only the kids are...

The best success I've had is to dose phosphate, potassium, and excel in the tank. None of them kill diatoms but it super charged my plants to the point that they were taking all the free nitrate in the tank. Was running around 10ppm now running less than 5.

Finally I found this works the best for cleaning them by hand. Cut up a 3" x 3" square of t-shirt. The rougher the fabric the better. Next drape the tshirt over a thumb and then wrap up your thumb with a rubber band. Finally with a pointer finger and thumb grip wipe off each leaf. My tank is almost all Anubias so the leaves are few but strong.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Diatoms feed on silicates. A new tank leeches silicates for a while. Once the silicates stop leeching the diatoms usually die off. Now you can have a permanent diatom problem depending on your water source. Example my tap water has 8ppm silicates so every water change I supplied fresh silicates. You can test your water or contact your water company to get their test results. I use RO water now so my diatoms went away, before I went RO I did have good success with phosguard from seachem. Phosguard removes silicates and phosphates. Your plants need P04 so make sure your dosing some so the plants don't run out.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diatoms feed on silicates. A new tank leeches silicates for a while. Once the silicates stop leeching the diatoms usually die off. Now you can have a permanent diatom problem depending on your water source. Example my tap water has 8ppm silicates so every water change I supplied fresh silicates. You can test your water or contact your water company to get their test results. I use RO water now so my diatoms went away, before I went RO I did have good success with phosguard from seachem. Phosguard removes silicates and phosphates. Your plants need P04 so make sure your dosing some so the plants don't run out.
Very interesting theory. You may be correct. I will look back into this forum when my tank age another 2 more months. My tank is on its 2nd month going to it's 3rd and I already tackled down 2 types of algae. I might give my water company a call. You helped me understand. thank you. :proud:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts