The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. I had 3 cherries. 1 died early on when the tank had early tank problems, like green water BGA algae. All resolved now. The taank has heavy filtration.The 10 gallon heavily planted tank is very clear with no detectable algae. I feed the 2 remaining (Shrimp Souffle). I feed ounce a day either in a shot glass or right on the substrate. There are no fish currently in the tank. Only pond like snails. I believe I do have 1 male & 1 female, because 1 has a curved underbelly & the other is more straight & slim. I do plan on stocking the tank for which I have 5 Amber Tetras waiting in Q.T. I know fish in the same tank is not a good idea but if given enough time to raise a brew before fish would be the plan. The ph bounces between (6.7-7.3) during CO2 light cycle. They do not seem to mind. Gh is 7 & Kh is 4, 80% r/o a must. I have liquid rock for tap. I add Gh booster back in. Temp runs 76 during winter but cant keep below 79 in summer. There is a massive amount of plant biomass in the tank. Any ideas from shrimpers or like. Thanks

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
1 ounce of shrimp souflle is waaaaaaaay too much especially every day. I wouldn't feed 100 shrimp an ounce of food over a week, nevermind 2 shrimp per day.

As for the breeding, with only 2 in a 10gal planted tank, the male probably can't even find the female when she is in her mating cycle. Apparently after she molts and releases her pheremones in the water, there is only a couple hour window for the male to get in and do his job, or her shell hardens and his sperm won't make it in, so unless he can find her in the jungle of your tank in that time frame, he probably misses on his chance and that may only be every month to 3 months. The male could also be sterile, the female sterile, or she's an ugly shrimp and he's not interested. It's hard in a big tank to get 2 shrimp to breed. I have a female fire red and 5 male yellows I am breeding to get some wild looking shrimp to work with and it's a planted 10gal and I've seen 3 molts and the males still haven't gotten her. I am going to break it down to a 2.5gal to give less space for her to run.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , that was a miss key on my part. I only use a small little chunk & that is not always every day but I am concerned about the no algae thing & the shrimps not getting enough food competing with the snails which I am currently reducing . You are probably right about the ugly shrimp. Today he chased her away from the food , then she went to the other end. Not exactly true love. She did swim like crazy around the tank when he got sucked into the canister a couple a weeks ago. He must have given off some kind of distress signal. Well it does not sound good from my end. Guess I need to restock more shrimp or Start a separate shrimp tank.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
^ They are scavengers so they aren't used to having food to eat daily anyways

Cherries have got to be the easiest shrimp to breed, they basically take care of everything themselves. All you need to do is keep the water clean and warm.

I remember when I got my first colony of Cherries, the entire female breeding population was berried a month in and was always berried after.

Didn't have to do anything special at all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
WC will help

Change water, that will make them more active, they will grow faster and get pregnant faster.

1 male and 1 female is too small group of shrimps, try to get more shrimps. I'm always suggesting to people to start from 10 shrimps. Good start means more joy in keeping and breeding shrimps :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
if you want to be sure that they can find each other, set up a breeder net to keep them in. add a few things they arent likely to hurt themselves on for decor and hiding spots.

its a way to get them into a confined area without losing all the benefits of a full tank(stable water).

the easiest thing to do, like others have said, is buy more shrimp.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. One more question if you will. I am really scared of not q.t ing anything that goes into my tank from other peoples stories & my own. How do you Q T a shrimp or shrimps. I will have a tank open soon for this but I would imagine another resident in the Q T tank would be advisable. An then wait for a reaction of some kind. Maybe they could bring something in even if its not a true parasite like trichadina & costia which mostly eat bacteria but will cause irritation to the fishes. Now keep in mind I do not intend in the short run to have just a shrimp tank, but in the future I would love to have an all shrimp tank. I figured since there was no fish currently in my system a few babies would be welcome. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.