The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use a canister filter for there nano tank? I seen this one "Tom Rapid Mini Canister Filter C-80" anybody use this one? I have some shrimp and wonder the best way to filter my 10gal without to much swirling action? I also wonder how many guys have kept shrimp with a sand bottom?

·
Registered
159 Posts
i have zebra shrimp in a 5.5g right now with a sand bottom. they do just fine. for a filter, i use a DIY mini-canister that uses a 170gph powerhead, but i've clamped down the outflow to slow it down, its still got a current, but its not pushing the fish around.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Anybody use a canister filter for there nano tank? I seen this one "Tom Rapid Mini Canister Filter C-80" anybody use this one? I have some shrimp and wonder the best way to filter my 10gal without to much swirling action? I also wonder how many guys have kept shrimp with a sand bottom?
My aquaclear 20 in my 10 gallon works excellent and does not create excessive swirling action. Unfortunately, this is being used in a plant only harvest tank but I am confident that there would be no problems if the bottom were sand and I had shrimp as long as enough plants remain to break up the water tide from the filter before it hits the bottom.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Zoo Med 501 or the Tom Aquatics Mini Can - want/need to slow the flow? Pack the canister with some filter floss...

Here is my take on them.

* Hoses are more flexible - On the Zoo Med 501 they don't use those rigid, not as flexible ones like on the Tom model
* slower/less flow on the Zoo Med 501 with empty media chambers - you can adjust the flow on either of them by adding some floss in the canister - but, this will impact the frequency of cleaning to maintain the rate
* The Tom one comes with a hanger - the Zoo Med it is an accessory
* I like the clamps on the Tom one better - the Zoo Med "sliders" are a bit more of a pain to open
* Both come with nice little spray bars

I ran the Zoo Med on a 6.6, and am currently running the Tom one on the side of my 2.5g, with a decent amount of extra media in there. Why that way - because there is nothing to right of my 2.5, so the filter is hanging there, and it was the one that came with the hanger.

If I had to recommend one, I'd say if you are looking for a "cleaner" looking one - go for the zoo med (clearish/smoke-grey hoses) - and get the hanger or be prepared to place it almost at the same level of the tank - back or sides.

If you want something that feels a bit more industrial - the Tom will do it.

Whatever you do - don't try to put CO2 into those little canisters - I've tried it, and it is noisy! Anyway, the little tanks just get a bit of excel now...and the 6.6 is no more.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
zoo med 501 +small hob for my 6.6. the 501 alone dosen't seem to make enough water movement.
I also have a toms. I would not reccomend it over the 501 due to the inlet and returns being somewhat fixed position and a pain to work with.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I just built a mini canister, may not be good enough for a ten, it doesn't have alot of flow even for a 1g..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.