1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to grow some soft water plants like-

ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII

AMMANNIA GRACILIS

CABOMBA FURCATA

ROTALA WALLICHII

MYRIOPHYLLUM TUBERCULATUM

All of them just stay smalls wilted and at some point just die.

So if you are able to grow these here in the city or close to it please tell what your magic trick is.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
It would help to state your water parameters + equipment. I don't think CHI water is any harder than ours, it comes outta the same lake :).

I once blamed hard water for my inability to grow Alt. Reinecki, gracilis and other "soft water plants". I think I came to realize that my co2 just wasn't high enough or some other parameter was off. I'm not saying that's the case here, but a little more background might not hurt.

·
Registered
122 Posts
actually, i think the water in my area of Westchester which is 25min drive to chicago, our water seems now to have much more chlorine then ever before. For the reason that you can really smell the chlorine, which leads to that quite possibly the water is now somewhat harder. What I just started using in my tank is Wardley 3 in 1 conditioner buffers the ph down to 6.5. In my opinion is better than Tetra AquaSafe because it doesn't use as much or any phosphates. It works pretty good for me.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You might want to talk to the caga folks - not sure of any other group with more experience growing plants in Chicago water.
I've got no answers because I'm the kind of gardening slob - both aquaria and outside - who is content to grow the many plants that will thrive on my local conditions. If a plant is too picky or tender, well, someone else can try to grow it. There are plenty that appear to thrive given my particular brand of neglect. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts