The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohla, I was wondering how does one cut circular pieces of anything with diameters of 12" up? Can a router be used? If so how do you guide it? I am terrible with hand saws :( and avoid using them if I can. As always I would greatly appreciate any advice/info provided. Thanks

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The usual method for wood is to:

1) Drive a nail into the middle of where you want the circle.
2) Tie a string to the nail.
3) Tie the string around a pencil 12" (or whatever radius) away from the nail.
4) Use the string to guide the pencil.
5) Drill a hole near the inner edge of the circle (if you want a hole in something), or the outer edge (if you want the circle) big enough for a jigsaw blade.
6) Use a jigsaw to cut.

I've never dealt with acrylic, and I understand it has a tendency to crack if not cut/drilled carefully.. So I will defer on the acrylic part of the question. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was hoping this wouldn't be the answer. I guess I need to learn more patience when working with saws. I am not going to give up, I will build the most awesome PVC pendant ever! HAHAHA :red_mouth

·
Registered
336 Posts
Like Cobra said, a jigsaw would be the easiest, go slow, ive even found using the opposite hand you would use for writing helps because as it forces you to go slower. Cut outside the line and sand the rest.

Acrylic ive found is easiest to shape with a router using a jig.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Easiest way is to go to the local hardware store or lumber store and see if they sell plywood rounds in the size you need. Then cut it in half.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see if I can find premade cuts. Again thanks for all the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts