The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had a 10G tank, water changes were so easy. Now that I have a 40G tank and a 60G tank, water changes are a pain. Taking old water is easy. I use a siphon w/ a long hose that goes into a bathtub. Putting new water is tough. I first put water in 3 buckets I have, put some water conditioner, carry the buckets and pump the water into the tanks. It takes about 10 buckets of water to do weekly water changes and it's physically challenging because I'm not getting younger!

I know some people connect a hose to a fauset to directly put tab water into a tank and then put water conditioner. But I don't like the idea of putting untreated tab water in the tank.

So, how do you change water?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
IMO, in a well established tank, if you're doing a water change less than 30% from tap, it will not harm your bioload specially the beneficial bacteria... Chlorine/chloramine is not strong enough and will just dissolve when mixed with the tank's water... But with your question, I'm doing water change on my 37gal by filling my 15gal tub and using a powerhead pump to push water to the tank...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
your suposed to treat the whole tank with dechlor then add water. but i still use the bucket method. lifting 5 gal buckets up to armpit height and dumping it carefully in a tank really really sucks. i may just use a powerhead as a pump in the future.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used to use buckets, but after using a python i will never go back! It makes it much faster and for me even more importantly its much less messy. I put a few drops of dechlorinator in the tank before i fill it and then drop some more into the water stream as it enters the water. Haven't had any problems yet. Pythons are a bit pricey tho =/

·
Registered
885 Posts
unplug my canister, disconnect the quick release on the hoses, set them in my 5 gal bucket open the lever on the quick releases and drain the tank out that way.

for filling it up, im temp checking and filling the 5 gal buckets back up from the sink, treating them. then lifting them up to the top of the tank and resting it on the rim as i siphon fill my tank back up too keep any messes from happening by just dumping in the 5 gal. I want to get a pump so i dont have to lift the buckets up to the top.

hook back up the canister and im good to go.

might go python but im afraid of losing fauna, had it happen once when i forgot to treat a bucket before putting it in the tank, i ended up catching it but lost a few along the way. but that was 5 gal untreated added to a 10 gal tank ... doh

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I use a Python for my 84g. It is simple and creates no mess. All of which saves time.

1) connect Pythn to a faucet
2) Place vaccum in tank
3) turn on water to start Python pump until syphon is set then let it run alone to save faucet water (drains a little slower this way, but runs fine)
4) vacuum/drain aquarium
5) adjust tap water temperatur to approx tank temp
6) add dechlorinator (product is Prime)
7) flip Pyton switch from drain to fill to direct faucet water into tank
8) monitor temp
9) stop water when full
10) remove vacuum tube from tank and place into a bucket, or sink
11) flip Python switch back to drain and suck all of the excess water out of the Python
12) put the Python away.

For most of this, you just watch the water, stop when 50% empty, stop when tank is topped off. While this is going on (takes about an hour for my tank and setup as the sink is 50 feet away from the tank) I trim plants, move things around, adjust/add/clean euipment, do filter maint if time.

Very simple, very easy, very mess-free. No adverse effects from using water from the tap. Prime helps, but probably isn't necessary. Only issue would be if your tap water parameters are very different from your tank. Test it if you haven't already. Odds are with you.

AB

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Water changes are no bigy for me, especialy since I only have a 20g "soon to be" riparium. I use the old "siphon and bucket" method, then add water that has been sitting in a bucket for about a week.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just googled a Python and am very interested!

Does it fit with any type of a fauset? My tanks are in the basement and the fausets in the basement bathroom are kinda short and fat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I will be useing a syphon to clean the gravel and then use a pump to refill because I plan on useing about 70% RO/DI and 30% tap water. I say will be because I should be draining my reef and then getting my 120 cleaned up, painted and ready to get started.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Chrisk-K, the Python will fit the two common faucet aerator sizes. You unscrew the aerator and screw in the Python faucet adapter. I use a utility sink, so I just leave the adapter in all the time.

as long as your faucets are standard and not custom, spray heads, etc... you should be fine. You probably need about 6 inches of clearance from faucet to sink bottom. Maybe less, certainly not more.

Don't buy the length too close. You need some extra length to go up to sink and tank, move around inside the tank.... Extra length doesn't matter, too short a length does.

AB

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Got me a 3/4" flexogen hose, drains 500+ gallon of water and refills in less than 1.5 hours on 5 different tanks. I made a simple U shaped PVC adapter with the 3/4" T shaped strainers to prevent shrimp etc from getting siphoned out and also to reduce splash when refilling.

I drain to the landscape/house plants, then switch the hose connection to the shower head and refill with warm tank temp water. I add dechlor to the tank as I refill and new nutrients.

Takes roughly the same effort and time to do 25% as it does 75% water change. I only lift the hose end.
Cleaning filters, pruning, etc, takes more energy/work, I do that while the tank is draining/refilling.

1.5-2 hours or so a week for 500 gallon worth of planted tank.
10-15 seconds per gal.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have two methods.
The first echo's the majority of folks here who drain and fill using a hose and add conditioner to the tank as the water flows in - Super easy and a big plus if you do large water changes.
The twist on mine is that I am in the garage and near a utility sink that has a faucet with a garden hose attachement. I added a hose attachement to my filter mainfold and now drain and fill through the two prefilters in the bottom of the tank.
The hose attachement with valve

One of the pre-filters (with camera reflected in upper corner of pic)

The other tank, a 60 gallon with Sulawesi shrimp can't take San Diego tap water. I use RO water that is circulated over crushed coral and has some traces added. These shrimp also are sensitive to water changes so I only do 5 gallons at a time and add it slowly. Here is what I use:
The tank has the same hose adapter with valve, but it has a 90 degree barbed fitting that I use to drain into a five gallon bucket. The same sponge pre-filters are in the tank and keep shrimp out

Here is the bucket used to treat the RO and along side it is a 2.5 gallon jug that contained distilled water.

The jug has been cut open at the top to allow me to fill it

To nozzle on the front can be opened partially to control the rate of flow into the tank - important for these shrimp!. I just put a board across the top of the tank and let the jug drain in while I do something else. 2x replaces the 5 gallons. Not automated but cheap and effective.
The nozzle

Bill

·
Registered
544 Posts
The phyton is the best invention I have ever seen! After 25 years of keeping aquariums I finally bought one in the US (it´s not sold here in Mexico, if I import them I´d be millionaire!). I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.

It takes me 10 minutes to do my half week (wc only) 20% change. Just connect it, water comes out, flip the controls, water comes back, treat the tank for chlorine and that´s it.

On weekends the WC includes gravel vacuuming (as much as possible in the planted) and it´s still so easy...

I don´t work for python... I just discovered how nice it is to not carry buckets and suck water with the syphons...

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Just ordered a 50ft Python. I hope I won't missing carrying a 5G bucket full of water ten times to do water changes!

Trust me, you won't. I just bought one made by aqueon (basically same product), and i love it. I used to have my dad help me do WC's in my 85g. We'd get a garden hose, run it through the house, connect a syphon to it, and drain the water out that way. Then we'd take the hose back outside, connect it back to the faucet, and run the hose through my window to refill. Was a pretty efficient way of doing it, but there always had to be someone outside to turn off the water, and we had some pretty close overflow encounters. Now, i can do it all by myself. My dad is getting up there in age, so he appreciates it too.

One of the best aquarium products i've purchased. You won't be disappointed with it. Makes WC's so much easier! Now i'm ready for a 500 gallon tank, lol! (only if my parents would let me... :drool:)

Oh, and if it doesn't look like the adaptor will work on your faucet, keep trying. I was about to return mine because we couldn't connect it to our faucet, but then i posted some pics in the lounge and someone informed me that there was a little filter inside of the faucet that had to be unscrewed for it to work.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Buckets for a freshwater tank WC???!! I’ve used the same Python for almost 10 years now. I stick the hose out the window and siphon away. Then I hook the Python up to my faucet and fill the tanks back up. It takes me 30 mins to do 50% water changes on a 120g and 75g. Anyone still using buckets to do WC’s really needs to get a Python. Lee puts out a cheaper version, but I’ve never used it. Really, get a Python, it takes the misery out of water changes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well water and Python

I still use buckets. I have well water, and although I don't have to deal with chlorine, I do aerate the water in buckets to bring the pH up. It will go from 7.0 to 7.6 in a seven gallon bucket being aerated with one 4 inch air stone in an hour. Or a 1/2 hour with two stones going.
Then I match it to the tank water temp and lug it in. Although it can be a pain, I always tell myself it's exercise.:icon_roll

Anyways, does anyone know if I could use a Python with the Ph swing difference I would have? I really don't want to put any stress on the fish. I do 30% w/c at a time.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.