The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This must have been covered here before, but I couldn't find any advice by searching the old threads: What's a good way to selectively catch and remove a fish from a planted tank?
I've got some feeder minnows that I used to cycle my tank and now I want to remove some of the larger ones before stocking with tetras and rasboras. They're too quick for me and my net. Is there a trick? I've got an acrylic tank so most of the top has a solid cover with two access holes that further limit my options..
Has anyone here use a little trap? Bait with food and then try the net?

·
Registered
250 Posts
This may sound silly but what color is your net?

I used to use black nets and would have a hell of time catching fish. Even with 2 nets I would still have trouble. Someone gave me a green net with a bunch of stuff they were getting rid of. I tried it one day and the fish never saw it coming. They barely moved when I dipped the green net in.
Sometimes I still have to use 2 nets if they're hiding. I use a black one to chase them into the green one. They swim into the green one like it's not even there.

I don't know if fish see color like we do but my guess is that the green net blends in with the plants. It's definitely been less stressful for them and me.:wink:

I've used soda bottle traps in the past. They work but it's tricky trying to only get the fish you're trying to catch in the trap.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I used a cup to catch my fish when they had to move. It was the same cup I'd always add water to the tank with from water changes so they were use to seeing it and not as freaked out (my rainbow would have nothing to do with a net, and its a bad idea to use nets on plecos, so cup catching for all!).

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm facing a similar issue and will need to make a trap one of these days. I have 1 more Tetra to catch, which will happen eventually, but the Flying Foxes and Red Tailed Shark just go behind rocks whenever a net gets near the tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone.
Aquabruce, as a matter of fact it is a black net. I've been thinking of getting another since this one has a small net and a long cumbersome handle. Maybe I'll try a green one.
I think I'd enjoy making a diy trap. I'll give that a shot also. I made a soda bottle trap once as a kid and stuck it in a creek. Never caught anything with it even though trout fry swam all around it for days.

·
Planted Tanker
5,977 Posts
Usually with two nets moving them very slowly. Sometimes for skiddish fish I'll put the nets down in the tank and leave it for a while. That gives them time to get used to it and not be so afraid and prone to run away from it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try turning out the lights and darken the room, then use a flashlight to see, it will disorient him a bit and you should be able to scoop him right up.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have done this a couple ways for a black fish on black sand hard as HECK to see. Use your largest clean tupperware and use it like a shield and herd him to one side and then net them!! I also lower the water level, so they can't swim past the tupperware.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Try turning out the lights and darken the room, then use a flashlight to see, it will disorient him a bit and you should be able to scoop him right up.
This works very well, like a deer in the head lights. I have a very bright LED headlamp and if I need to catch a certain fish I will turn the lights off and shine the light on them, most of the time they don't even move once you shine the light on them. Another way you can try is the soda bottle fish trap, you can try and get a bottle with a small opening since you are attempting to catch minnows and that will prevent some of your larger fish from getting in there. Or if you only have minnows in your tank then you won't have a problem. I like to drill a few holes in trap portion of my bottle to help drain the water, bait with a frozen blood worm cube and sit back and relax.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just spent all night fishing out my CPD's out to relocate them into their new home. Just starting from the back moving in words helped. Once they were in the front with less plants i was able to net them. :p if i didn't they just dart back into the pants in the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts